Cali Kid Corals

Leemar Starphire 290

gimmito said:
Kensington Reefer said:
Jim just sniffs the markers though!

My favorite are the blue markers. :p

Oh yeah! The blues can really sneak up on ya! Lol!

@ Denzel......the obvious choice.....I found if its not right there in front of me, I just don't use it. I don't like to use the word lazy, but..........that shoe might fit me better than I want to admit sometimes. ;)

Kmooresf said:
@ Denzel......the obvious choice.....I found if its not right there in front of me, I just don't use it. I don't like to use the word lazy, but..........that shoe might fit me better than I want to admit sometimes. ;)

Well, I'm an Engineer so of course I'm lazy. I always look to automate anything I can. :)

denzil said:
Kmooresf said:

Well, I'm an Engineer so of course I'm lazy. I always look to automate anything I can. :)

LOL! Automation is GOOD!

New video camera..........took it out of the box and was playing around with it. HOLY COW it's AWESOME! It looks great on my computer that doesn't have a hi def screen. However I streamed it to my TV through an apple TV unit and OMG!!! AMAZING! Best if you watch in 720p or better.

I did a quick edit and made this video......close ups of some of my coral. I will put the camera on a tri-pod and make a very nice video eventually. This is just the teaser. LOL! Hope you enjoy. Oh, and I am gonna try to embed this damn thing, so wish me luck..............

[YouTube]WsmLfVlCyrU[/YouTube]

Looks great - Seems like Gimmito has some competition in the videography department!

*Holy bubble algae! Get a siphon on those things!

Very nice. I watched it on daTube at 1080, full screen on my 24" monitor. Really nice macro shots.

What camera is it?

+1 on using a tripod. It will look a lot better with a tripod.

Thx guys.

Camera is a sony HDR-CX580V. I did a lot of research and found this one to be the most compatable without hitting the 1K range on price. The auto focus was a major consideration. I went to the stores and played with them and most of the autofocus features were crappy. This one was smooth and accurate. Got the Tri-pod out. Now I have to have a full day to clean up the tank a bit and shoot at night when there is no glare. Fish look great as well cause it will shoot at 60 frames per second. No blurr. ;)

It was a tough decision to buy the camera. I still need lights and some other stuff for the tank, but I really want to document how it's going for my own enjoyment. So now I can do that. More to come.

Sweet camcorder, Kris. I looked it up. Claims to be able to focus to 25cm in TeleMacro mode. That seems perfect for aquarium shots. I think you went for an excellent price point. It's easy to spend many times more and not get that much out of it - especially for YouTube videos.

When you shoot at 60fps does it play back in slow motion?

Looking forward to tonights shots!

Trying out the still photo's from the new video camera. I'm surprised at the quality of photo. I hadn't intended to use it as a camera, but it really takes some nice shots.

Spotlighting from a LED flashlight. Fat Head Dendro
DSC00023.jpg

I'm starting to see why people can become obsessed with Chalice'. Amazing colors.
DSC00037.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

Got some new fish.

Bought a trio of Chalk bass..............VERY shy for the first week or so, however now they are out all the time. One of them made the jump and is jerky on the floor. The other two seem to have settled in nicely.
DSC00028.jpg

Also bought a small Harem / Shoal of Lyertail Anthias. Stopped by Aquatic Collection after the meeting and there they were. Bought 5 females and a male. 3 females and the male seem very close and tend to stay in a group. The two other females seem pretty shy and tend to stay in the shadows a bit. They all seem healthy and the 4 are big eaters. A little worried about the other two, but so far they are hangin in there. I try and make sure they have food around them as much as possible.......they have both eaten, but are not pigs like the others. Time will tell. The male is a little small and his colors were a bit faded....however he is a very aggressive eater and has already shown improvement in color.
DSC00052.jpg

DSC00081.jpg

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00090.jpg

Kensington Reefer said:
Chalk bass look hungry

Yup, they were all on the skinny side when I got them. Been in there about 2 weeks now and I assure you they are pigs! LOL! They are an interesting fish. Not big swimmers, but very pretty. They have taken to the cardinals and almost school with them.

Thanks Jim and Denzel! Anthias are VERY cool!

I am glowing today because the tank parameters are the best they have ever been on this tank.
Alk = 7.9
PH = 8.4
Cal = 490
Nitrates = 0
Phos = .06!!!!!!!!! (this is amazing, because we have been feeding 3 times a day to make sure the Anthias have enough)
Mag = 1380

I know it won't last, but you can see the corals are happy, and it's a good feeling............for today anyway. LOL! Happy Holiday's everyone!

Back