Reef nutrition

Looking to get a telescope

Hey Tony,

I have an 11" Celestron Schmidt Cassegrain telescope. It's an older version of what they have today. Schmidts are awesome, because they have a periodic error correction once aligned. Today's version is even better. But of course comes with a price. Just point the telescope to a star, and you are set. Hook up a camera take long exposures to get an absolutely crisp shot or just a quick shot.

Check out Orion Telescope, they are kind of on the expensive side, but it's worth to check out: http://www.telescope.com/control/search?SEARCH_STRING=celestron%20schmidt%20cass?atc=ggldlp&id=ggldlhx&gclid=CNfIgery-KMCFQImbAodoRETIg

Also, have a look at Sky & Telescope as well as Astronomy magazines.

Lots of good software as Mike pointed out - make sure to utilize the red function which turns the screen red as it helps your get used to the night vision.

Good book to check out - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0387986065/ref=oss_product as quite a few friends learned on this book (nice and small)

If you find out that yeah Astronomy floats your boat and money isn't an object then you can get all crazy with all kinds fancy equipment.

I'm quite sure that I'll get a simple 8" dobs. Small investment and if I really like it after a few months, I can treat myself to something nice for xmas ;) the 8" without any fancy computer is cheap, easy enough for either my wife or I to move, and will (if I truly am into it) give plenty of fun :-D

Now...to find the best 8" dobs lol. I'll try to stay this-->|| far away from " analysis paralysis"

8" (thumbs up)

Orion sells some nice 8" ones. The local community college may have a class on making your own telescope (dob) as far as the mirror goes.

LIke with cameras, good glass matters, and some accessories can make life a ton easier.

If I order before noon PST, it ships today :-D

Starting with a classic 8" orion dobs
$380 and comes with
Sirius Plossl 25.0mm (1.25in.)
Single speed 2" Crayford focuser
EX Finder II

The question is,
is it worth
a) changing to a 2 speed focuser for ~$90 more?
b) changing to a 90deg finder (or other? for ~$50 more
c) starting out with a pair of nicer lenses or using the base package and just getting an additional lens (I hear good thing about the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm Click-Stop). Zooms are convenient, but primes are also really nice. I can see the advantage in the eyepieces, since they can go on future scopes.
d) get a Barlow?

note: the build your own option adds an additional $20, so if I go this route for example for just the focuser, it is actually $110 more.

I wouldn't bother with the 2-speed focuser, you're basically got focus and ultra fine focus. Amateur with this first telescope this is not going to make one hill of beans unless you have parkinsons or something and can't turn a knob steady.

The 90deg finder might be nice, not a lot of experience with dobs, but gathereing on their setup, it might be a bit difficult to use the finder unless your both short and low to the ground.

Lenses you can always add later to your collection, so unless there's a significant discount now I wouldn't bother. I would probably get at least one additional eye piece of a smaller focal length, maybe 10mm considering how nice your skies probably are, maybe even smaller (not too much though there is a limit to the magnification) although with the lack of tracking (??) you might not get much use out of too much magnification, although again this is always something you can add later if you feel you need the magnification.

90 degree finder is nice but not necessary as Mike pointed out.

My suggestions 12mm, 17mm or 18mm, 25mm or 26mm. I seldom use my anything less than 7.5mm and that's with pretty dark skies middle of nowhere. I wouldn't go below 12mm (seems to be most popular). Primes ep's are going to be your best best - never tried a zoom ep so I can't comment.

When you get your starcharts, go ahead and download a copy of cartes du ciel (if you have windows) there's a mac equivalent out there too... you might be surprised how much information and how easy it is to use (plus it's cool as you can search for something you don't know where it is)... might make your star charts collect a lot of dust though ;)

Will do!
And Mac...PC...I got OSX and Win7 on the laptop :-D

Starchart was cheap, so no biggie if it is a dustcollector.

Back