Kessil

Making DBTC even better

I believe that part of the appeal of this program to me is that it's "loose".
I have in the past put different prerequisites on different corals I've offered up in this program.
I strongly object to the idea of "rules" for this program as I see its flexibility as its strength.
What if we said "must post a pic of the offering"?
Would we then be invalidating all of Jeremys offerings?
Every rule is exclusionary by nature and allowing this program to be loose, decentralized (not controlled by the club) and flexible are all positive points IMO.

I'm with Jim, rules = bad when someone else tells me what I should do w.r.t. how I give away MY corals.

However that being said, and I said this already in the thread :), I'd be nice if there was a fairly simple to see database or periodically (monthly?) message that gave statistics on everyone's takes/gives/returns so that when I say "coral up for grabs" I have an easy time of seeing who has done what with regards to the program. People lose corals, but it can really say something when you see that they've gotten 8 corals, given out 1, and not returned any chains. I know Jim has done this on some of his corals where he'd mention Person X has already tried, this that, etc let someone else have a go, well it'd be nice to do that without having to do the homework myself.

Sorry, yeah secret handshake club thing going on... that and after being in the club for quite a while you tend to pick up names of certain people who are in the spotlight... and yelling at you that you have 10 seconds to pick a coral ;)

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=2870.msg30630#msg30630 date=1200765901]
I have in the past put different prerequisites on different corals I've offered up in this program.
I strongly object to the idea of "rules" for this program as I see its flexibility as its strength.
Every rule is exclusionary by nature and allowing this program to be loose, decentralized (not controlled by the club) and flexible are all positive points IMO.
[/quote]

Might work for interclub trades but the looseness will hinder any larger plans, like sister club trades ;)

And that would only be an issue if DBTC was brought outside of BAR. If it was, I can see a new rule set, but within the club, although I an the new guy and haven't see any foul play. I have the impression that in the long run, even with broken chains, DBTC still works on average. Realists win out with DBTC. Idealists loose but it is expected.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2870.msg30642#msg30642 date=1200773527]
[/quote]

Might work for interclub trades but the looseness will hinder any larger plans, like sister club trades ;)
[/quote]I agree with you Gresham AFA sisterclub trades. I do think though, there will be less coral available in a sisterclub trade verses an interclub trade, thus driving up the demand for grow out. My corals are always available locally, whereas the $$ and effort to ship from one club to another hinders replacement, not to mention the "carbon credits" coming out da tail pipe of a jet.

If I have a coral like my granulosa that loves to die I'm gonna let people know it is difficult.

I do believe however, that people need to consolidate their giveaway/acquisition info, it is a jumbled mess (except mine of course), and keep there threads updated, and bumped if there is more available.

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2870.msg30642#msg30642 date=1200773527]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I would totally agree except that DBTC isn't a trading program. It's a PIF program and as such is based on wishful thinking (recipient will grow it out and PIF). There really isn't any "policing" of the program, nor should there be. I think that BAR would, in effect, act just like an individual donor, but on a national level. Put the offer out, send the corals off to their new homes and hope for the best!

Back