Our mission

Matthew's 65g Skyward Reef

Temperature of the device matters
Confirm that it's an ATC refractometer AND that it's not a brine but rather a sea water version if that's what you're running @Matthew Meyer. You want to calibrate at 20C if possible as the sample equilibrates really fast. You can make your own 35 ppt solution too if you have an analytical scale. I basically had to calibrate mine to 36.5 ppt as my old one is a brine version.

Here's a good guide on how to adjust and calibrate: https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/sites/default/files/downloads/SEAWATER REFRACTOMETER V2.pdf

Also don't use conductivity standards to calibrate a mechanical refractometer and vice versa.

Bad calibration caused tons of issues in my tank for years with stony corals.

I will calibrate my atc refractometer with 35ppt solution and calibrate the hanna to that. Thanks for all the help @Coral reefer and. @Darkxerox

Attachments

• 20221221_132155.jpg
    20221221_132155.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 81
Since the Hanna measures condo and converts that into salinity, you'll want to use the Hanna calibration solution (KCl based) on that only. Then the 35ppt NaCl based one on the optical refractometer. It's super confusing but this article explains everything:

Most of the article is over my head, but if my tank measures 35ppt via my refractometer calibrated with the solution, couldn't I just use my aquarium water to calibrate the Hanna Checker? If I know my aquarium salinity is 35ppt it shouldn't really matter what the base is right? It should calibrate?

I'd still stick with a verified standard designed for the device you're using because the device will still have some inherent variability. Conductivity standard for the Hanna and a refractive index standard for the refractometer. And just be sure to calibrate at close to the temperatures recommended in the instructions.

- Added New Sea Hare (Kenny).
- Added a bag of Phosban to Highflow area of sump
- Added 4 snails

-Struggling with alkalinity or testing. Using Salifert and Hanna kits.

20221225_120150.jpg

Line up a new home now for when that sea hare once it eats up all the algae in the tank! I've seen one wipe out a 90g tank in just a week or so. Once everything is cropped down, the snails will keep it from coming back.

Line up a new home now for when that sea hare once it eats up all the algae in the tank! I've seen one wipe out a 90g tank in just a week or so. Once everything is cropped down, the snails will keep it from coming back.
Hoping this guy will survive. If he does i will definitely pass him on.

Back