Jestersix

Matthew's 65g Skyward Reef

Kenny the Sea Hare isn't doing much for the GHA problem. He is nocturnal. Maybe the GHA is too long????? I will continue with manual removal and Phosphate reduction.

Kenny the Sea Hare isn't doing much for the GHA problem. He is nocturnal. Maybe the GHA is too long????? I will continue with manual removal and Phosphate reduction.
Manual removal, yes
Phosphate reduction, probably not going to help as much. Lot's of talks recently (specifically Thales) that go into why nutrient reduction isn't the answer to an algae free tank.
More clean up crew/manual removal is the way to go here. That being said, I do run gfo on my tank, but only to keep my phosphate from getting over 1.0

Haven’t tried 3 day black out for hair algae myself, but might not hurt to try if it’s that bad and you don’t have the fingers for manual removal.

Tank Looks Good. Numbers are a mess. Probably should do a water change tomorrow.

Alk 10.75
Ca 250
SG 1.026
pH 8.5

Changing:
- Kalkwasser 420mL/day to 700mL/day
- Soda Ash 51mL/day to 0

@Coral reefer pointed out that you were dosing Soda Ash without any balanced calcium component, which seems like the most likely reason Alk/Ca fell out of balance. I see you switched to 100% kalkwasser, but are you planning on raising Ca back up with an additive?
To be honest I thought Kalk was the additive. I negelected the tank for about 2 weeks and this happened. Would you suggest a different additive? 2part?

To be honest I thought Kalk was the additive. I negelected the tank for about 2 weeks and this happened. Would you suggest a different additive? 2part?

Kalkwasser is a balanced additive - equal proportions of calcium and alkalinity supplied in a single solution.
2-part additives have a calcium and alkalinity component that are dosed separately in equal and balanced proportions.

You were essentially using the Alk component (Soda Ash) of a 2-part solution without the balanced Ca component (like calcium chloride). I would personally raise calcium back up to normal levels (350ppm-450ppm). Then you can continue using only kalkwasser which is balanced.

Water volume 75g
Goals: Alk 9, Ca 450

Alk 7.44
Ca 350

Dosing 30mL/day Soda ash
Dosing 210mL/day Calcium Chloride

Wrasse has disappeared for 2 days now. Sh has been Fat and aggressive in the past. Not sure while she is hiding. Tank looks really really good.
20230313_185353.jpg

Last edited:
Back