Jestersix

Mike's Last Build

When do you need me?
I'm thinking the weekend after next, so Feb 15-16, and hope not too many people do extended Valentines with a loved one or two or three. This Saturday would work too, but there's a whole lot of moving crap out of the way needed to get the tank from where it is now to where it's going to go.

Ok, so I started posting pics in my tank move thread, so moving everything over to this thread.

Well we were too busy working to take pictures! Although someone said something about taking a video of me drilling through the tank... to see if it was tempered, luckily it wasn't.

Here's a few I was going to post in my build thread though.

Took this quick pic of the tank afterwards before I started cleaning up
xqs0xvQ.jpg

Here's my overflow I got, the reason I wanted the tank drilled
bLcoDyr.jpg

A tad bummed I needed to notch out a few inches in the overflow, but it fits now and I don't have to drill another side of the tank. I do regret not drilling the "short" side of the tank, but whatever it's done now no regre.. wait I just said ... n/m
xg5T6IK.jpg

And this is why I went with the overflow, less than 2 inches of tank space taken, and the outside box has 3 drains so I can do a Bean if necessary, the "cornerflo technology" takes up a crap ton of space, makes viewing from the side kind of meh because you can see into the overflow, and each corner only has 2 1" drains, of which the piping they give is for 1 drain and 1 return, no emergency drain, nothing. so yeah no. When I get time I'll razor blade these guys out and plug the holes.
14N4Kct.jpg

No prob, and yeah love the almost cube feel to it, reminds me of my 180 I had that was 4x3x2 best tank I ever had, but it was acrylic and a case of the lazies let it go downhill.

Decided I wanted to remove the old overflows, they came off super simple, tank looks like a whole new tank now without those ugly monstrosities in the corners (sorry Mario)
RdnikVt.jpg

And the side view looks nice now! Well after I find a new razor to scrape at it, the one I have only has one good side, don't want to risk scratching the tank before water gets in it :D
HJh2d9C.jpg

And what I got done today... unfortunately work week started so kind of have to do that stuff that makes money before tank stuff which just takes money.

Remember those holes where the overflows were? Ok none of the pictures really show them off. But what holes!?
R5V7Bfv.png

Need to clean things up with the old silicone a bit, and then I think I'm ready for water.... but I need to rebuild a RO/DI unit before I get to that water making stage, maybe this weekend... but who knows. Wife went away with the kid since Saturday so I've had so much time to get stuff done... of course I didn't get much done I screwed around, relaxed, chilled, and then moved a tank and did a few things sure, but hey can't put a price on that! :D

I think I'm pretty set on parts unless some of the old 1/4" fittings I have just got brittle with age (which is a real possibility on some), but I ordered a bunch of parts during a black Friday sale at BRS... kind of forgot what I ordered to be honest :D

Are you sure the acrylic with silicone will be ok to prevent a leak?
I think glass is what you want to use.

Now that I see the tank sans cornerflo’s makes me wish I had done the same.

It should work... I'll find out when I start filling with water though :D
The thing with E6000 is it does bond to acrylic and glass, but it doesn't need to be a very strong bond it's basically acting like a gasket... at least that's the theory :D

Yeah manufacturer says full cure between 24-72 hours dependent on various factors (heat, humidity, etc) either way I'll give it a bit on the longer side because I just realized I don't have salt for the tank, so need to get some :D

Lemme know if you need any parts. Might have some.
couple parts necessary, the RO unit that Mario gracious gave me has 3/8" input and output on the canisters both the push and NPT threads, unfortunately all the fittings I have are 1/4" x 1/4", while I could possibly make it work with 3/8" I'd run into further problem down the road I think from incompatibility issues.

So any 1/4" push x 3/8" NPT male threads fittings handy? I looked on HD & Lowes websites and didn't see any, and I'd rather not do BRS because their turn around time is pretty horrible, like 1 week with free shipping and I'd like to start making water in the tank (if anything to test those black pads I put down to block the old holes) by Monday.

How much is it worth to have me deliver enough to fill it? I’ll see what I have. I might have at least one 1/4”-3/8” double push fitting. 2 if those would work right?

Back