Jestersix

Monterey Bay Aquarium Behind the Scenes Tour 5/19/23

Interested in attending?

• Total voters

JVU

President
BOD
Matt Wandell at the Monterey Bay Aquarium has agreed to give BAR members another behind-the-scenes tour of the aquarium! We’ve done these before and they are amazing.

Tour is scheduled for Friday 5/19, 12:00-1:30p. We will meet in the lobby inside the Aquarium, and the tour will start at 12:00 sharp so please be there 5 min early. We realize midday on a Friday will not work for some people, but had to work with what was available.

The tour is open to Supporting Members. We have a cap of up to 20 people only. We will first open it up to members only, and if we don’t fill all the spots, then up to 1 guest per member. We usually do fill with members, so please plan upfront for the rest of your group to be otherwise entertained while you take the tour. This tour is not appropriate for small children. Please express your interest in the poll above by 5/12, and if you have a guest also interested if space is available. If we have more than 20 members interested before the cutoff date, we will lottery the spots (not first come). We will announce the final list (and waitlist if applicable) on 5/13. If something comes up and you can’t make it, it’s important to let us know asap so someone else can go.

Note that the tour part is free, but you still need to get a ticket for admission to the Aquarium like normal. Currently there are no covid-related requirements at the Aquarium.

Matt let us know the following specific details:

We should do 1200 – 1330. This will allow us to traverse through behind the spaces while most people are at lunch to avoid disrupting operations. The tour will take about 90 minutes. Everyone should be at the designated meeting point 5 minutes before the tour begins.

Some limitations:

1) We can accommodate 20 people for one tour. This includes children, infants, etc. It’s a hard limit placed on us by our safety folks.

2) People should be aware there is lots of walking and stair climbing and wear appropriate shoes. We can take elevators too if needed.

3) The spaces we will walk through can be pretty tight with a large group so strollers should be parked and not brought along. We have very limited space behind the scenes to park one or two strollers if necessary. (Please note, prior to the last tour this statement was misunderstood to mean “no wheelchairs”, which is NOT the case. Any person is welcome to join regardless of ability.)

Monterey Bay Aquarium
886 Cannery Row, Monterey, CA 93940

(831) 648-4800

Can't make it during the week.
Would this be possible on a weekend in the future? I get off early from work and still couldn't make it there by that time.
I understand the frustration, and I think a lot of people feel this way. We didn’t set the date. For the next one we can try again to make it a weekend or minor holiday like we have done in the past.

My wife and I would like to join I can make her a supporting member
Priority given to supporting members as above. She certainly has been active and so would be great to also have as a supporting member if that’s what you guys want to do. We may have room for +1’s though this time, we will see when we get closer. But there can still a lottery among +1’s after we give priority to all supporting members. Please vote in the poll above your tentative plan and can update it later.

I understand the frustration, and I think a lot of people feel this way. We didn’t set the date. For the next one we can try again to make it a weekend or minor holiday like we have done in the past.
That's what I assumed. I appreciate the club doing this

Reactions: JVU
Matt Wandell at the Monterey Bay Aquarium has agreed to give BAR members another behind-the-scenes tour of the aquarium! We’ve done these before and they are amazing.

Tour is scheduled for Friday 5/19, 12:00-1:30p. We will meet in the lobby inside the Aquarium, and the tour will start at 12:00 sharp so please be there 5 min early. We realize midday on a Friday will not work for some people, but had to work with what was available.

The tour is open to Supporting Members. We have a cap of up to 20 people only. We will first open it up to members only, and if we don’t fill all the spots, then up to 1 guest per member. We usually do fill with members, so please plan upfront for the rest of your group to be otherwise entertained while you take the tour. This tour is not appropriate for small children. Please express your interest in the poll above by 5/12, and if you have a guest also interested if space is available. If we have more than 20 members interested before the cutoff date, we will lottery the spots (not first come). We will announce the final list (and waitlist if applicable) on 5/13. If something comes up and you can’t make it, it’s important to let us know asap so someone else can go.

Note that the tour part is free, but you still need to get a ticket for admission to the Aquarium like normal. Currently there are no covid-related requirements at the Aquarium.

Matt let us know the following specific details:

We should do 1200 – 1330. This will allow us to traverse through behind the spaces while most people are at lunch to avoid disrupting operations. The tour will take about 90 minutes. Everyone should be at the designated meeting point 5 minutes before the tour begins.

Some limitations:

1) We can accommodate 20 people for one tour. This includes children, infants, etc. It’s a hard limit placed on us by our safety folks.

2) People should be aware there is lots of walking and stair climbing and wear appropriate shoes. We can take elevators too if needed.

3) The spaces we will walk through can be pretty tight with a large group so strollers should be parked and not brought along. We have very limited space behind the scenes to park one or two strollers if necessary. (Please note, prior to the last tour this statement was misunderstood to mean “no wheelchairs”, which is NOT the case. Any person is welcome to join regardless of ability.)

Monterey Bay Aquarium
886 Cannery Row, Monterey, CA 93940

(831) 648-4800

Hi I’d like to join thank you ❤️ also Nlopedota will be joining . X2 I’m now a member

FYI Matt doesn't work weekends, so unless someone else hosts the tour, weekends are hard. They do have paid tours if the club wants to pay for it.

I would love to join if possible. I’ve put in for me and a +1 if we happen to have space. I’ve heard wonderful things about previous tours. It’s so great that Matt is willing to do this for us. Thank you!

Reactions: JVU
Back