Kessil

Monterey Bay Aquarium Behind-the-scenes Tour: Fri, May 20 11:30am-1:00pm (RSVP by 5/13)

Will you attend 5/20 Behind the Scenes Tour?

• Total voters

Chromis

Supporting Member
We are fortunate that our friend Matt at Monterey Bay Aquarium has agreed to give BAR an exclusive behind the scenes tour on Friday, May 20 from 11:30am-1:00pm!

We will tour behind the scenes, learning first-hand from Matt through their aquarium quarantine, veterinary lab, Drifters (jellies), above the Open Sea tank (the really big one), as well as see some of the life support for the new Into The Deep show.

Important notes:
- Only paid members & those who RSVP can attend the event (if attendance is low we may allow plus ones, but this hasn't been the case in the past). We need a full count by 5/13 when the 20 lucky BAR members are selected so they have a week's notice to plan their trip to Monterey.
- You must buy a ticket to the aquarium and be on time to attend the tour - we will meet at the gathering point at 11:25am. The gathering point is in the lobby just past the ticket checking area.
2FB9D325-3C7E-4A95-BE75-7383390534C0.jpeg

- As of now everyone will be required to wear masks during the tour. Vaccinations are not required. Masks are not required for walking around on the public side at MBA, but they are for behind the scenes tours. This policy may change by the time of the tour, but we should assume it will be the case.
- The spaces we will walk through are tight and can’t accommodate strollers but we will accommodate wheelchairs.

Monterey Bay Aquarium
886 Cannery Row, Monterey, CA 93940
www.montereybayaquarium.org

*edited 5/4: moved time back half hour and added gathering point info, clarified wheelchair access.

Last edited:
This should be great! I wish I could go but I’ll be out of town. I’m looking forward to hearing what you guys see/learn.

Went on the first (I think) one of these behind the scene tours, super duper fun and anyone on the fence about doing it totally should. Start talking about car pooling there a car full of reefers makes the trip down there a whole lot easier, and nothing says the day has to end just because the tour does as the place is open from 10 to 5 while that may make it a bit harder with a carpool if you agree upon something before hand everyone can have a ton of fun.

Looking forward to the tour. Went on Monday and the reef tanks were looking really healthy. The deep exhibit is really cool, but somehow people still walk by 2 signs telling them no flash, and still use flash photography or videos.

Matt gave the following advice, which I definitely also recommend to you all-

“If people have never been here before or not for a long time, I always suggest they walk around on the public side before doing the behind the scenes tour. It will be easier to understand what they’re looking at.“

I responded as maybe as I would only be able to attend with my son (who is homeschooled and 11 yrs old). Hopefully there will be the possibility of plus ones? Thanks!

Back