Reef nutrition

MOVED TO ZOOM- Jan 8 New Year’s Celebration with ReefBeef

Will you be attending?

• Total voters
The venue website calls out that it seats 80. Not sure if that is the same as max occupancy though? Pretty cool looking spot too.

We are having a New Year’s Celebration club meeting on Jan 8!

In addition to having a get together to celebrate the New Year, we will have Rich (@Thales) and Ben from ReefBeef join us (in person) and record a ReefBeef episode with BAR members as their live audience, including Q/A! You could get your 10 seconds of internet fame!

When: Sat, Jan 8, 6:00p-9:00p

Where:
PHOENIX
2315 Lincoln Ave
Alameda, CA, 94501

Huge thank you to Eric @Srt4eric for finding us the venue!

If you haven’t heard about ReefBeef’s podcasts/videos yet, check them out:

Bring your reefing questions for Rich and Ben. More details to come as the date approaches.

[updated 12/5]
Yay! Will be my

Awesome... this is in my backyard! PHOENIX is a great place - Ben the owner is awesome - I've been going there a few times each month for co-working. Looking forward to going!

I'm getting excited for this!! @JVU are we going to have an rsvp poll on this thread?
Ok, I just added it, thanks for the reminder.

For those of you wondering how the surge in the Omicron variant might affect this event- We will just have to see how things go over the coming couple weeks. We will obviously be following any state and local rules, and will post what that means for the event here, closer to the event.

UPDATE-

Due to being right in the middle of the another covid surge, we have decided to move this event from physical to virtual, on Zoom. After discussion with our guests Rich and Ben, and other Board members, we felt like we really just had no other good option. It’s a bummer because we were really looking forward to this, and a lot of effort had already gone into arranging everything. I know some of you are going to be bummed or upset and I’m really sorry about that. Some others of you may feel relieved. Such a weird time we are in.

The new plan is to still have the event featuring a taping of a ReefBeef episode, but have it virtually over Zoom (which I think is how ReefBeef is usually recorded). We still plan to have Q/A with BAR members, and Rich and Ben have mentioned that they actually really like that part and would be happy to have it be the majority of the episode if we want.

Plan is to have it same day and time as our meeting was planned for. I will update the first post and the title here. I’m also going to reset the poll since the event is changing. Please reply to the new poll by Friday at the latest so that we know who should get invites to the Zoom meeting Saturday. I hope moving the meeting virtual will make it so more people can attend.

UPDATE-

Due to being right in the middle of the another covid surge, we have decided to move this event from physical to virtual, on Zoom. After discussion with our guests Rich and Ben, and other Board members, we felt like we really just had no other good option. It’s a bummer because we were really looking forward to this, and a lot of effort had already gone into arranging everything. I know some of you are going to be bummed or upset and I’m really sorry about that. Some others of you may feel relieved. Such a weird time we are in.

The new plan is to still have the event featuring a taping of a ReefBeef episode, but have it virtually over Zoom (which I think is how ReefBeef is usually recorded). We still plan to have Q/A with BAR members, and Rich and Ben have mentioned that they actually really like that part and would be happy to have it be the majority of the episode if we want.

Plan is to have it same day and time as our meeting was planned for. I will update the first post and the title here. I’m also going to reset the poll since the event is changing. Please reply to the new poll by Friday at the latest so that we know who should get invites to the Zoom meeting Saturday. I hope moving the meeting virtual will make it so more people can attend.
Thanks John. As you know, I think this is the right move, and I am so frigging bummed that it has to happen to me again (Same kind of thing happened in April 2020!).
That said, anything in particular folks would want us to talk about? It might be nice to have us expound on a topic for a bit, then open it up to discussion. Thanks!

I was thinking an interesting discussion point could be old detritus and if it does anything left in the tank or sump? Or does anything eat it? I know Rich will let whole inches of detritus build up in that settling chamber before sucking it out, so I think I know where you land on the discussion side, but it would be interesting to hear from Ben's maintenance view if customers have preferences here or if there are other techniques that are worth talking about.

The context to the question is that I run no filter socks, and very few water changes on a 220 gallon system and see detritus build up in the crushed coral substrate. A particularly effective method for removing it seemed to be to temporarily use a filter sock, and shoot water with a powerhead or my hands down through the substrate to bring the detritus into the water column, and let the filter sock run overnight, before removing it and rinsing it out.

A tangential discussion point from this could be what are the results or maintenance effects of people who go long times without water changes and dose everything versus heavy water changes. IE trace elements build up could be a result of not doing an ICP test and no water changes for a long time. Tank stability in chemistry is important, but the longer the tank goes without a water change, the longer the "new normal" is different from fresh salt water and do corals/fish see these as important? We know matching temp, alk, and salinity is necessary to not shocking the corals on a water change, but are there others worth mentioning on longer term scales? For example, tracking nitrates and phosphates closely seems to be the new hot thing.

Last edited:
I have similar question about disturbing substrate to remove detritus. Old school thought was do not disturb DSB. Today, what is considered deep and can all sand beds and substrate sizes be disturbed/cleaned if deemed necessary? And should only top layer detritus be removed?

Also, what are people finding regarding “old tank syndrome” with LR and its long term efficacy?

Reactions: JVU
Back