Cali Kid Corals

Moving a new aquarium. How?

I’ll ask CDA what they recommend. The tank was originally going to a different house with a right corner and they mentioned to try to minimize the time the tank is on its side

Since the tank will be in a crate, I suspect furniture dollys might be more appropriate here. Thoughts?
I attached a picture of the front of the house. The tank will be delivered in the garage and I’ll need to move it inside the house through the front door. That means rolling it down the driveway, on the sidewalk and to the front door, which has a couple of long steps. The office has double doors and is directly to the right of the front door. There’s ample space to turn the tank inside and it’s hardwood.

Attachments

• 2C58C54E-891D-484D-8CFD-E14C36C3F6FB.jpeg
    2C58C54E-891D-484D-8CFD-E14C36C3F6FB.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 137

vs

When we moved my tank, we used 2 of the top ones, but the bottom one is what is referred to as an appliance doll

The top one is commonly known as a furniture dolly or flat dolly.

Years ago I made several furniture dollies to move large aquaria using 8" casters to help get over bumps, thresholds, etc. The larger casters helped a lot. Those little ones get stuck on pebbles :(

I can't help but think that 2 furniture dollies would be more appropriate since the tank wouldn't need to be turned on its end (Something CDA discourages) and I only have 2 small steps outside the house. No tight turns either.

I did use 2 furniture dolly's for mine, and had 4 strong guys, and we still almost dropped it. Nice tanks are really heavy, so maybe 6 able bodied people depending on tank size.
I can't help but think that 2 furniture dollies would be more appropriate since the tank wouldn't need to be turned on its end (Something CDA discourages) and I only have 2 small steps outside the house. No tight turns either.

That means you gotta pick it up multiple times for the unloading, stairs; and getting it in the stand. Picking up and putting down are the hard parts. Obviously up to you tho

View attachment 30681

EastBay's house has two small steps at the front door, it's an easy lift for four with suction cups and two flat rollers. If the home has stairs, lay blankets on the stairs and push the tank up.
You must be large. I wouldn’t call it an easy lift. Def doable with 4 strong people and suction cups. The point is to lift and set down the minimum amount of times.
I would never recommend using your blanket method. Sounds very scary.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's really nice to receive so much help.

One thing to keep in mind is that the tank will be brand new and in a crate so I don't think we'll need the suction cups to move it up the stairs. My first instinct was to use furniture dollies under the crate to bring the tank+crate from the garage to the office. Then remove the side walls from the crate and use suction cups to lift the tank. The deck on the stand is 36" high. Would that be a good plan?

Thanks everyone for your input. It's really nice to receive so much help.

One thing to keep in mind is that the tank will be brand new and in a crate so I don't think we'll need the suction cups to move it up the stairs. My first instinct was to use furniture dollies under the crate to bring the tank+crate from the garage to the office. Then remove the side walls from the crate and use suction cups to lift the tank. The deck on the stand is 36" high. Would that be a good plan?
Does the crate have handles? Suction cups are amazing handles

I tried looking for a photo how CDA ships aquariums but I think they use a pallet. This got me thinking. Perhaps I'm thinking about this wrong and what I need is to rent tools to move a pallet? I wonder if it would be much simpler to just try to bribe the delivery driver to bring the tank inside the house if he has a small forklift?

I tried looking for a photo how CDA ships aquariums but I think they use a pallet. This got me thinking. Perhaps I'm thinking about this wrong and what I need is to rent tools to move a pallet? I wonder if it would be much simpler to just try to bribe the delivery driver to bring the tank inside the house if he has a small forklift?
I think you're way, way over complicating this.

Back