Our mission

Moving a new aquarium. How?

Have them drop the pallet in the garage.

Get a few people with suction cups to move it.

I don't think you need fork lifts, dollys, etc. You aren't moving it far, or up stairs.

A few patio/walkway steps do not count as stairs. That looks like 30-60 seconds of walking max.

Or. We could take the roof off your house and get a crane to lift the tank out of your garage and then drop it into your living room. Then just slap the roof back on and we are good to go!

View attachment 30681

EastBay's house has two small steps at the front door, it's an easy lift for four with suction cups and two flat rollers. If the home has stairs, lay blankets on the stairs and push the tank up.

View attachment 30681

EastBay's house has two small steps at the front door, it's an easy lift for four with suction cups and two flat rollers. If the home has stairs, lay blankets on the stairs and push the tank up.
You are right. That is how people move big furniture pieces or pianos in Asia up several flights of stairs.

Of course be careful with it.

The aquarium and stand have arrived! 620 pounds for the tank and 470 pounds for the cabinet.
It was a surprise since last I heard from Crystal Dynamics, they were wrapping it but were unable to get it picked up. The freight truck arrived by surprise...

The tank (in its box) weighs a nice 620lbs and the stand (crated) was 470lbs.

So I have a few questions
  • Some people recommended furniture pads under the stand so I can build it far from the wall, then push it closer to the wall before I fill it. The stand doesn't have legs but 2x4 that run all around the bottom. I assume this is done for weight distribution and adding 6 furniture pads would create 6 pressure points. What do people do to be able to move an empty 1,000lbs setup on hardwood?
  • Similar to the question above, if I can't do the furniture/moving pads, should I put something to protect the hardwood under the stand? I heard ideas ranging from a yoga mat to putting a silicone bead around the stand (Like a toilet)
  • How many people to lift the tank on the stand? The shelf is 36" off the ground and the tank is 24" tall. I thought 6 people with a total of 12 suction cups?
Some pictures :)

IMG_4314.jpgIMG_4315.jpgIMG_4316.jpg

congrats on this soon-to-be epic setup.

Is that what's written on the packing slip?

Unless the stand is solid steel, it's hard to understand how it weighs 470lbs with crate

I just weighted a 100g 48x24x20h glass tank..it totals near 170. I understand the glass thickness difference...but 620 lbs????

Last edited:
That is what's written on the packing slip. It's likely to be less due to the crate.
The stand was on a pallet and wrapped in cardboard so It's probably close to 400 lbs if I had to estimate the weight of the pallet and packing material.
I have no idea about the tank. It's crated on all 6 sides with plywood. A bit of Googling gives me an estimate or 475-500 lbs since it has euro brace and bottom reinforcement braces.

congrats on this soon-to-be epic setup.

Is that what's written on the packing slip?

Unless the stand is solid steel, it's hard to understand how it weighs 470lbs with crate

I just weighted a 100g 48x24x20h glass tank..it totals near 170. I understand the glass thickness difference...but 620 lbs????
Maybe 3/4" glass, and crate weight

That is what's written on the packing slip. It's likely to be less due to the crate.
The stand was on a pallet and wrapped in cardboard so It's probably close to 400 lbs if I had to estimate the weight of the pallet and packing material.
I have no idea about the tank. It's crated on all 6 sides with plywood. A bit of Googling gives me an estimate or 475-500 lbs since it has euro brace and bottom reinforcement braces.
Nice tank, I went a similar direction with my build. Let me/us know if any other questions come up through your process.

It's not solid steel but it's a steel stand wrapped in plywood. I think they are called steel square tubes¥

CDA recommended these pads and to cut them so they match the width of the steel frame. Thoughts? https://amzn.com/B06XGMYPJZ
Haha, now it is exactly like my build.

My CDA tank had a pad on the bottom already. I made sure the top of my stand was flat and put a sheet of good quality plywood down to distribute the load. Check out the pics on the install under my signature.

And yeah, my stand was over 150-200 lbs of steel tubing

Nice tank!

Note: A side benefit to paying LFS/mover to install is liability if something goes wrong.

Tip if you have hardwood floors:
Put empty stand exactly in final position.
Level it perfectly with shims, and glue shims to stand.
Then add lots of those felt furniture pads to shims and stand underneath.
At this point you can slide the stand + (empty) tank around fairly easily.
Set it all up completely in center of room, then just slide it in.
Plus, the felt allows for a tiny bit of give as things settle. And protects floors villa movers in abu dhabi.
Hi, in the next couple of months, I am going to have to move to a new place and that means taking my 75-gallon cichlid tank with me. Has anyone ever moved a tank or have any suggestions for how to go about doing this and transport everything?

I
Hi, in the next couple of months, I am going to have to move to a new place and that means taking my 75-gallon cichlid tank with me. Has anyone ever moved a tank or have any suggestions for how to go about doing this and transport everything?
very doable. Please start your own thread tho instead of hijacking this one. I’m not willing to type it all out but you can pm me and we can talk on the phone if you need help

Back