Kessil

My 210 restart.

Both DI and Carbon will capture Chloramines.
But refillable activated carbon lasts about 5 times as long, costs less, and helps preserve RO membrane.
Down side is the activated carbon also treats the waste water.
And has a not insignificant amount of fines/dust, which you need to flush prior to use.

What’s available for that? I know Neptune has flow monitors but you need a minimum flow rate for it to work and I don’t think there would be enough with an rodi system. Plus he’s trying to phase out his apex stuff.
I use this
IMG_0367.JPG

Looks good. One amazon reviewer said he had to install it on the input side of his rodi because the output flow was too low to register. The manufacturer shows the flow should be between .3-3.5 GPM. It would work good then for the carbon block but not DI.
That should be fine, those carbon blocks are the big unknown of the situation. RO membrane, you can have a TDS meter before and after to check it's usefulness, DI resin, you can do the same or with color changing resin you know when it's good. With carbon blocks you have to tee off before the membrane and use a chlorine test strip, which don't get me wrong isn't a horrible thing to do, but nobody likes testing, once you figure out the useful life of that particular membrane simply look at numbers on a display to see if it's getting time to change.

Test the waste water for Chloramines.
That is effectively a tee off before RO membrane.
A good way to know if you need to change carbon.

Dual TDS is good. After RO, and after DI.
But since DI is color changing, that second one is not so critical.

I keep forgetting to flush the carbon, and foul up my membrane. Grrr....

You want it
Looks good. One amazon reviewer said he had to install it on the input side of his rodi because the output flow was too low to register. The manufacturer shows the flow should be between .3-3.5 GPM. It would work good then for the carbon block but not DI.
on the input side anyway to track total gal Through the sediment/carbon/chloramine filters and membrane(s)

Just got that meter will install it so I know how many good gallons I made since last changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It seems like either you go through a lot of water or it exhausted much sooner than it should have.

Say if you made 100 gallons a month and you have a 1:4 rejection rate then that is 500 total gallons running through it. 500x12 months is 6000 gallons and that’s only a little over 1/3 of the estimated life of the media.

A 1:4 rejection rate is pretty high compared to the water saving RO systems that produce closer to 1:1. If that’s your case then that same 100 gallons per month would only require 200 gallons to flow through the media for a total of 2400 gallons for the year.

Like I said that's assuming everything is optimal. I have dual 90gpd membrane in series so I should be 1:2 ratio. But I make more than 100g a month more like 300 as I used to do 50 gallon a week water change and then I have hospital tanks and stuff for new fishes. So I could see 300-400g for fish stuff. I mean I could use tap for hospital tank but it's already piped and made saltwater so no point in that. Just gotta keep up with my media changed I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back