Jestersix

My Semi-annual upgrade

Do I hear DBTC Tek lighting edition :) I'll pick #22! Make sure you let me know if you are selling them. I'm interested in the "lay-away" plan LOL :)

I thought T5 last a lot longer. If you are not over driven the bulbs, you only need to replace them every 18 months or 2 years.

Well how long a bulb "lasts" is really debatable, hell MH bulbs can last for years too, if you don't care about the color shifting and performance issue (in the case of those driven by electronic ballasts, as magnetic ballast don't seem to have this same issue). But I've gone 2 *cough* years on my T5s... :D

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4283.msg56537#msg56537 date=1222293693]
I thought T5 last a lot longer. If you are not over driven the bulbs, you only need to replace them every 18 months or 2 years.
[/quote]It depends on the bulb, and what kind of livestock you're keeping. If I were running T5 and replaced them every 2 years I'd have to acclimate my corals, if I were to replace them regularly it would not be so much of a problem. Plus, I would get really good growth the whole time instead of dealing with the lag time during the acclimation period.

Mike you better spend some money *gasp* you'd be surprised how much better new bulbs work. Besides it would be counter to your I don't give a crap attitude, that would really say I don't give a crap ;)

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4283.msg56566#msg56566 date=1222309459]

Mike you better spend some money *gasp* you'd be surprised how much better new bulbs work. Besides it would be counter to your I don't give a crap attitude, that would really say I don't give a crap ;)
[/quote]
Never said I don't give a crap about money... well ok I did, but more about making money, I do give a crap about spending it :D

Actually I wanted to find out what my next semester teaching assignments will be to see how much I can "play with". I'll have a full load of classes so plenty of money... AND health insurance!!! :D

I need a couple 250w DEs, 150w DE, and depending upon room 4-80w T5s and a couple 54w t5s... it's gonna cost a few bucks.

Haha, ok all this light talk. I got it all set up today.

sept25thfts1of1small.jpg

Damn that thing is awesome.. Come on dude we need some HDR stuff.. :) so we can get the best of all worlds :) I think your camera has auto bracketing .....

Well, just slightly smaller than the tek reflectors. 6 tek reflectors take up 11 inches. There is no wasted space front to back on this fixture like the tek. Even though the reflectors on the tek take up 11 inches the fixture itself is 16.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4283.msg56566#msg56566 date=1222309459]
[/quote]
Ok money has been spent, since I found out my work schedule next semester (with health insurance *woot*) I went on a minibinge, a couple peristaltic pumps (so now I don't have to manually dose every day), a couple reflectors, couple DE bulbs, gotta see actual sizes first and see how many 80W T5s I can cram over the tank, then it's another binge at reefgeek. So yeah I'm capable of spending money :) Besides the existing T5s are over my softie tank and really are only as suppliments to the MH bulbs over it.

BTW sorry for pooping in your thread Ian :)

Maybe someone can provide a ball out and give me some 54 watt t5 bulbs .........They need to be replaced when they get black on the edges right?

Back