Our mission

New to me Reefer 250

Changed out my RO filters.

5 micron was 9 months old

1f1db492ed61b64f4d2eb2e4c4222d6d.jpg

1 micron was 15 months old

f86b93b9a26c65381b84e60591f89409.jpg

Both carbons also 15 months old

Was still getting zero total chlorine out of the carbon filters but I’ve done too much reading that suggests bacteria can grow in the canisters.

That 5 micron filter really did most of the work.

Something is going on. Another acro started to RTN yesterday.

This time it was an unknown tenuis that has no grown or had polyp extension in a while so it was obviously in distress for some reason.

I took it out and cut off all the dead spots and dipped remaining pieces in revive.

It didn’t die over night, so maybe it’ll survive, but I lost 3/4 of the colony.

I would also stop using the al99, you mentioned you doubled the recomended dosage in other posts. Not sure what that would entail to al leaching..

Not doubled recommend dosage. Just went to recommend dosage. I doubled my half dosage from before.
Oh got it....at recomended dose or less there is al but slow and small quantities..
Anyway icp will be the best judge.
I have a kit in the car if you want you can take it this morning and then give me back one when you get a chance to go to a LFS if you like.

You have a really nice tank. Be careful not to kill it chasing numbers.

Key: watch carefully for Alk swings when lowering phosphate.
Things like GFO can lower both.

If you have had high phosphates for a long time, they are dissolved in the rocks.
As you lower it, they leach back out. It will take a long time. Be patient.
Do not overdo the phosphate reduction because you do not see phosphate levels lowering.

You have a really nice tank. Be careful not to kill it chasing numbers.

Key: watch carefully for Alk swings when lowering phosphate.
Things like GFO can lower both.

If you have had high phosphates for a long time, they are dissolved in the rocks.
As you lower it, they leach back out. It will take a long time. Be patient.
Do not overdo the phosphate reduction because you do not see phosphate levels lowering.
Well said. Lowering po4 especially if fast will shock coral big time. Coral should tell us what's needed, if they happy that means they adapted the current parameters changing them quick will push them through an adaptation phase which make coral sensitive

And that al99 is doing nothing to my po4.

They have risen to .17 now. So I guess I’ll start using lanthium chloride in very small doses until I get my metal levels down with the al99 and switch to rowsphos

And AC doesn’t sell ICP tests. Can you believe that?

I guess I need to get to Neptune.

And that al99 is doing nothing to my po4.

They have risen to .17 now. So I guess I’ll start using lanthium chloride in very small doses until I get my metal levels down with the al99 and switch to rowsphos

And AC doesn’t sell ICP tests. Can you believe that?

I guess I need to get to Neptune.
Dude I told u I have one in the car. Come get it...
Just be careful when using rowsphos. Use half the recommended first so you do not tank po4 quick. It's very effective material.
Al99 is super slow, that's why I use it. I do not think it's good for a system that generate po4 much..my system generate very low and slow po4 that's why I use it beside cleaning up BA.
Let me know if u want the icp,

Dude I told u I have one in the car. Come get it...
Just be careful when using rowsphos. Use half the recommended first so you do not tank po4 quick. It's very effective material.
Al99 is super slow, that's why I use it. I do not think it's good for a system that generate po4 much..my system generate very low and slow po4 that's why I use it beside cleaning up BA.
Let me know if u want the icp,

Thanks. I’m just swamped right now...working 3 jobs (at work) overtime every weekend, and doing a remodel.

I’ll let you know if I can get a few free minutes.

What I don't get is if your corals looked fine with higher phos why mess with it? Not all tanks are the same. And it's not a must that tanks need to be at .03 phos. Its just recommend levels. But hope nothing else dies man tank looks good. If corals are happy I say let it be. I started the number chasing game with nutrients and I regret it. All I did was cause an algea bloom

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think everyone is freaking out over the phosphate thing. I am not doing anything crazy and drastic. I have kept the phosphate between .01 and .1 for the life of the tank...

Only recently has it started to creep up and I’m trying to find genteel ways to reduce it.

Corals do not look fine. I have some dying and I have others that don’t look nearly as good as before.

So, the way I look at it, I need to chase numbers.

I don’t do anything fast. It you read back the phosphate been high for a couple weeks. I’m working to bring it down slowly and not kill everything

Back