Cali Kid Corals

New WiFi Heater Controller

Just saw this on Amazon, looks like its been out for about a year but I haven't heard of any reefers using it. Seems like a great affordable option for those who don't want to buy an Apex. What do you think?

The fact that it's Inkbird makes me a bit hesitant. Also not sure why the title states 1500W but the description state 1200W, in case that kind of gives pause that it's nothing but a reseller of mass produced goods who uses Amazon as their marketplace, i.e. they really don't know much of anything about the product they're selling. Not sure I'd want to throw 1200W worth of heater on that plug anyways, 10amps is a lot of current to be running continuously, I have experience melting an outlet with a 1000W heater, so you need to be damn sure that the connection is super solid with no wiggle. Also not sure why 2 probes is such a desired feature, I mean I get it if one probe goes down you'll never know so the other one is there as a backup but I'd rather have a quality probe then two crappy ones. I like the heating alarm though, if it can't get up to a certain temperature in a set time you get an alarm, so this could be used as a secondary heater controller if you have a larger system and let you know if your other heaters just can't keep up for whatever reason. Also looking at the pictures of the device front and back doesn't seem to be UL or CE approved like most any of their products, so something to take with a bit of caution, I'm guessing they probably didn't get an FCC approval for the wireless aspects either, so something to think about

But if it really is a remote usable option, then sure I can see it used with smaller heaters definitely not up to 1200 watts though, and assuming the wifi actually gives you remote access anywhere, the inkbird site seems to suggest it but again the reseller talks about it paring with your phone over wifi but does that mean you have to be within range? Or is it really pairing with your router and you get your info over the internet (again reseller not being the sharpest tack when it comes to the products they're selling)

So overall, yeah some good things for it, and for the price might be worth a shot, but not sure I'd let this thing be too much of a safety net, and man the size of that thing, you're not fitting that anywhere small, it's probably taking up an entire outlet by itself.

I’ve been happy with my 2 standard InkBird controllers I use as backup failsafes. No experience with this controller, their app, or in general this line of their controllers.

Back