Our mission

oh yes I did just spend $1,200.00 for a moped

This is way sexier :)
img-vespa.jpg

bookfish said:
Nope, it's treated more like a bicycle here. Legal in bike lanes, no insurance etc...

What's the cutoff point here in CA? In Massachusetts, anything over 49cc would need to be registered, insured, etc... Anyone know what it is in CA?

That moped is sweet. When I was 14 and 16 I spent my summers in Lucerne and up in the Italian alps near Lake Como and basically restored my Uncles neighbors moped from the ground up. My uncle was one of the two police officers in this little mountain side town and one of the serial speeder teenagers up there who was all about modifying Mopeds and Scooters helped me out. At the time the requirements to ride a motorbike 50cc and under were you had to be 14 and that's it. We bored out the cylinder, put some fat reeds in, new carburetor, and put on a really fat expansion pipe. After all that work the thing ran awesome but probably went only 5MPH faster than it did before. Still, it sounded pretty mean. I absolutely loved that moped, looks like it will be a blast when it's all put together. I'm jealous.

badbread said:
bookfish said:
Nope, it's treated more like a bicycle here. Legal in bike lanes, no insurance etc...

What's the cutoff point here in CA? In Massachusetts, anything over 49cc would need to be registered, insured, etc... Anyone know what it is in CA?

That moped is sweet. When I was 14 and 16 I spent my summers in Lucerne and up in the Italian alps near Lake Como and basically restored my Uncles neighbors moped from the ground up. My uncle was one of the two police officers in this little mountain side town and one of the serial speeder teenagers up there who was all about modifying Mopeds and Scooters helped me out. At the time the requirements to ride a motorbike 50cc and under were you had to be 14 and that's it. We bored out the cylinder, put some fat reeds in, new carburetor, and put on a really fat expansion pipe. After all that work the thing ran awesome but probably went only 5MPH faster than it did before. Still, it sounded pretty mean. I absolutely loved that moped, looks like it will be a blast when it's all put together. I'm jealous.

From DMV website..."How to apply for a motorcycle or moped driver license if you are over 18

There are two classes of motorcycle licenses, Class M1 and Class M2.

* With a Class M1, you can operate any 2-wheel motorcycle and any motorized vehicle in Class M2.
* With a Class M2, you can only operate any motorized bicycle or moped or any bicycle with an attached motor.

Effective January 1, 2006, you may operate a motorized scooter with a Class M1 or M2 driver license. Prior to January 1, 2006, you must have a Class C or higher driver license to operate a motorized scooter.

A motorized scooter is defined as: A two-wheeled "device" powered by a motor with a floorboard that is designed to stand on when riding. The scooter may also have a driver’s seat.

Refer to the Motorcycle Driver Handbook for more information.

* A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy). CVC Sec. 406(s) 406 (b)
* A Motorized Bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which require a one-time $18 fee. No renewal required. (M2) moped/scooter only license or an M1"

You may want to check the law. As far as I know you need a license, registration and insurance.
The bike lane thing could be an issue but I don't know the law on that.
Cops may look past you if it looks like you are pedaling.

Here's what it says in the CA DMV motorcycle handbook;
motorizeD Bicycles
There are two definitions of motorized
bicycle (moped). A motorized bicycle is:

A two- or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:

fully operative pedals for human
propulsion.

a motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.

an electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion.
(VC §406[a])

Avehicle with pedals and an electric
motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. (VC §406)
If you operate a motorized bicycle
which meets the definition of VC §406, you:

Must be 16 years of age or older.

Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.

Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (VC §12804.9).
You may ride a moped in a bicycle lane at a reasonable speed. Be careful of bicyclists using the lane.

However, I know our State laws are both confused and confusing. I wouldn't be surprised to find directly contradictory information in current lawbooks.

Some times the laws is not as important as how well you can sweet talk the police. :)
Or...It's not what you know but who...

Pssshh.. PHOTOSHOP!!!!

photo was taken under actinics :lol:

I know, look at that "white' bucket handle in the first shot. Blatant misrepresentation! But I did think the ped gleamed nicely under the 20k XM's. LOL
And you guys are welcome to try it out of course.

Maybe in Alameda but surely not @ Zeb's :lol: Last visit I had there the neighbors were hosting their own sideshow with a stolen Lexus. Fun times in the hood.

GreshamH said:
Maybe in Alameda but surely not @ Zeb's :lol: Last visit I had there the neighbors were hosting their own sideshow with a stolen Lexus. Fun times in the hood.
Yup, Zebs neighbors are scary. He's braver than me, i couldn't live there.

Back