Neptune Aquatics

Philip's Nano Re-Build

Snail laid eggs on another snail:
15531C5A-E935-43BE-9B42-D136AEEC0542.jpeg

My anemone split while I was on vacation. Notice the absence of clownfish in either one of the anemones. They are starting to get close, I think...
BAF8D59E-F36F-472E-A19A-908B2044FC0A.jpeg

Mandarin just because she was there and looking photogenic:
93E9B733-DEF5-47E2-B470-29683616BACD.jpeg

I installed the profilux before I went out of town last week. I was planning on just unboxing and making sure everything worked, but it ended up being so simple, that I decided to configure everything and somewhat haphazardly install it. I’m still programming some features, but it’s generally running what I needed.

EAB890C7-8BDC-42D5-965C-41904B1F70E0.jpeg

For those with aquarium controllers, do you keep it under your sump? I wouldn’t be terribly concerned about it being under my tank, but I’m more likely to dump water on it in it’s current location...

I’m my cabinet I had a wet area that housed the sump and dry area for electronics.

Probably a good idea. I still need to take my sump out and put it on heavy duty sliders. I may see if there's a way that I can create a dedicated dry spot for the controller as part of the reconfiguration.

I’m my cabinet I had a wet area that housed the sump and dry area for electronics.
Out of curiosity what did you use to keep the dry area... dry. In my stand I have a similar setup where I created a space for "dry" (electronics) however you still need to pass wires from wet to dry, now I got rubber desk grommets so that I can minimize the opening while still making it convenient to get cables through, but some amount of moisture will eventually get in there simply due to humidity. Now I did think I could use a fan and push dry(er) room air into the dry area and the over pressure would naturally prevent/slow humid air from going in that direction, plus it has the added benefit of making sure the air doesn't get too hot in there, but that's not something that I quite implemented yet.

Out of curiosity what did you use to keep the dry area... dry. In my stand I have a similar setup where I created a space for "dry" (electronics) however you still need to pass wires from wet to dry, now I got rubber desk grommets so that I can minimize the opening while still making it convenient to get cables through, but some amount of moisture will eventually get in there simply due to humidity. Now I did think I could use a fan and push dry(er) room air into the dry area and the over pressure would naturally prevent/slow humid air from going in that direction, plus it has the added benefit of making sure the air doesn't get too hot in there, but that's not something that I quite implemented yet.
Technically the dry side was not IN the cabinet. It was on the other side of the wall behind the cabinet. I used an exterior outlet cover to pass things through.
96246C8A-C4D7-406E-8311-70334B3C2AC0.jpeg
F14ADC9D-DC4A-4E1A-AC94-9EC2E4B4BE32.jpeg

Did a little sump reorganization this weekend. I liked the ideas of having a "dry" area for the controller. While I couldn't quite pull that off with my limited space, I was able to at least move the controller to a spot above the sump where it would be less likely to get wet during normal maintenance. I ended up lowering the sump a fair amount, which made my return pump a wee bit undersized, so I upgraded that to a DC pump that's controllable.

IMG_5870.jpg

I also put the sump and ATO reservoir on heavy duty sliders a few months ago, so I can get to them a little easier. That was really simple for the ATO, but the sump takes a little bit of creative plumbing and arrangement of cords and connections to make it able to be pulled out. The sliders are rated for about twice what my sump weighs, but I rarely pull them out all the way and even more rarely leave it out for more time than it takes to swap a filter sock out or clean the skimmer cup. It's really nice to have and I'm surprised I don't see more people with their sumps set up on sliders.

IMG_5874.jpg
IMG_5875.jpg

Finally, I added a KH Director. This kind of snowballed from my decision to upgrade my Kamoer dosing pump to something a little more reliable (I was unhappy that it just stops dosing after a power failure unless you reconnect with bluetooth). Since I was already on the GHL system, and everyone seems to love their dosing pumps, that seemed like an easy decision. Once I was decided on the dosing pump, it made sense to go ahead and get everything in a package together with the KH Director and "save" some money by spending even more...

I've started another post with my thoughts on the KH Director (so far) here. I need a little dosing tube management and still need to find somewhere to permanently keep the reagent and my alkalinity solution, but it's running and I'm pretty impressed so far.

IMG_5872.jpg

Last edited:
Back