Reef nutrition

Photography 101 Zoom Meeting?

Angles can work, but they will distort your coral.
View attachment 15964
If you are using a phone camera there will be wide angle lens distortion on top of the distortion from the glass. By zooming in a bit it’s possible to reduce the wide angle distortion, I’m taking an art class online and we had to learn that so our teacher could get accurate shots of our art.

This is an example of FTS that I took this evening. I used Snapseed to adjust to reflect how the tank looks (currently really blue since the actinic T5s are on) and while I think the color is fairly accurate, my chief complaint is how the picture looks distorted without any sense of depth or clarity on any of the corals. It would be hard to identify any corals through this pic, unlike Randy’s.
b193a85502687677fc3cb7dcd15a03ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an example of FTS that I took this evening. I used Snapseed to adjust to reflect how the tank looks (currently really blue since the actinic T5s are on) and while I think the color is fairly accurate, my chief complaint is how the picture looks distorted without any sense of depth or clarity on any of the corals. It would be hard to identify any corals through this pic, unlike Randy’s.
b193a85502687677fc3cb7dcd15a03ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great looking tank anyway!

I have all of my brother's DSLR's, three of them and have no idea how to use them. Guess I will have to take an online course. It would be sweet to photograph my collections.

I'd be interested in this as well! I can share a neat trick for macro shots using a DSLR! See attached!

Attachments

• hitchhiker_ID.gif
    hitchhiker_ID.gif
    4.2 MB · Views: 226
Reactions: JVU
Few things are as hard as our hobby. I can help. Going organic mode. Here's what we need:

1. A virtual meeting space and coordinator. (@Squist volunteers to set this up)

2. An agenda. Starting point:
A. The basics — using a smartphone
B. Advanced — using a DSLR
C. Other (photogs—chime in)

3. Members to present on one or more of the above to share their methods. I saw some members in the thread expressing interest.

Members who reply to present: we’ll meet virtually to come up with the objectives and agenda. And we’ll figure out how to best demonstrate what you’re doing from where you are and with what video cam tech you have.

Anyone up for sharing what you know and seeing what happens? Reply to this thread and we’ll connect on next steps.

Back