got ethical husbandry?

Plumbing Problem--Drain Pipe Spurting Water

99sf

I have had my 29 gallon office tank set up for about 18 months with a bulkhead in the back and a basic drain/sump system. Yesterday, I noticed salt creep/ splash marks in the area behind the drain, where there is a "T" with a drilled cap. The water used to just drain through the pipe evenly, but now, every few minutes, the "T" starts gurgling, and spurts a bit of water through the holes in the cap. I checked the drain for blockage, and there seems to be nothing blocking it. The bottom of the black drain tube still pours out a lot of water into the sump.

Here is a photo I took today... any ideas about how to solve this problem? One thought I had was to add a vertical pipe, plus coupler, then the drilled cap. That way, the water gurgling up would have a greater distance to travel before reaching the holes in the cap.

29_gallon_drain_photo.jpg

I would begin by cleaning the pump, drain hose, and return hose/nozzles. My guess is that the flow is adjusted by growth and is "just right" to cause it to surge a bit.

Check+clean the pipe between tank overflow and the T. (pipe on left in picture)
If that gets partially clogged, it may back up until it is full, then without air, switch to siphon type flow.
In siphon mode, it will suddenly pull a lot more water through, causing the surge at the T.

Your water line is higher than the cap on the "T", guess you may rise it with a piece of PVC.
Also if the cap is replaceable, try replacing it with one drilled only on the top.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try to get a flexible pipe cleaner. Meanwhile, I reached inside the elbow from the tank and through the top of the T, confirming no obstruction in the areas that I can access with my hands. The return hose is very clean, since I just installed it last week. Last week, I also replaced the Quiet One pump (which began freezing) with a MaxiJet 1200. The MaxiJet doesn't seem to put out too much flow by the time it rises four feet.

Mario, the water line is above the T cap... do you think that adding a vertical pipe should help? Can you explain (to this plumbing novice) why it's better to just drill a hole in the top, rather than the top & sides of the cap?

I think there might be a little splashing when the water passes through or simple evaporation creates the salt creep.
Still, by looking at the picture the water line seems high; if the drain hose blocks for some reason, the first way out for the water will be that PVC T; a simple extension above the water line I think will prevent any spills and you may use the same cap.
If you don't want to glue the extension, use some Teflon tape, two or three times roll it on the pipe and press it.

This morning, I attached about a 10 inch piece of PVC going straight up from the T, then attached the cap using a coupler. Definitely stopped the problem, although it looks a little bizarre!

Well 10" probably was a bit overkill, just looking at the picture you might want the air vents higher than the water height in the tank by a couple inches at least.

Definitely it is overkill! I will have to use my ratcheting pipe cutters, which I never knew existed prior to starting this hobby.

Back