Cali Kid Corals

Plumbing: What is the best option?

The Varios 6 is too strong for the setup and I would like to replace it. The problem is most of the smaller pumps is 3/4 inch while the varios is 1” which matches the trigger system input of 1”.

Current setup. varrios 1” > 1” soft tubing > 1” barb > trigger inlet > 1” to 3/4” reducer > 3/4 inch union.

Option1: new pump 3/4” > 3/4” soft tubing > 3/4” barb > 3/4” pvc to untion: This option will bypass the 1” trigger system input which supports the pvc.

Option2: 3/4" barb to 3/4” and 1”inch bar converter > then use current setup which is (1” soft tubing > 1” barb > trigger inlet > 1” to 3/4” reducer > 3/4 inch union). This would be the easieSt, but I am not sure about going from 3/4" to 1" then back to 3/4".

Am I overthinking this? Is one option better than the other? Or is both viable and common in many setups?

thanks!

IMG_7346.jpeg

Last edited:
It would depend on what pump you’re planning on getting. You may be able to find a pump that has NPT threading and you get just get a 3/4” NPT to 1” barb adapter and use what you currently have set up.

But, the first question should be, even at say 10 or 20% the varios 6 is too strong? It probably is only pushing roughly 125-250 gph at that point with head pressure. How big is the tank?

I am not sure what the current flow is, maybe I should try the milk gallon test.

From the website/forums.
IM 40L: Recommended Return Pump Flow Rate: 200 - 400 GPH
Varios 6: at the lowest speed = 4000lph = 1056gph

From Observation:
  • Water moving into the overflow seems to be at a higher rate. I have been using the ball valves to restrict the flow into the tank.
  • For flow returning using the Gate Valve - every little turn would increase/decrease the water level of the overflow by 25% - 40%.
Hope that makes sense.

Yeah, doesn’t make sense to me either. Varios 6 is rated at 1720gph. If the minimum is 1056 gph, then you can only adjust the pump in a range of 60-100% of the pump rated output?

I don't know if it's all DC pumps, but the percentage of flow is not linear and there is a minimum. Meaning a 2000gph pump cannot run at 200gph when set to 10%. Using the 0-10v to control my Octo Pulse powerheads, anything below 30% will not even turn on the pump. With my Neptune COR pumps, anything from 1% to 35% power I see the pumps spinning at the same RPM (via apex) which tells me that's the minimum.

I see what you mean. This is where I pulled the Varios 6 data from, where at speed 1 4000lph =1056 gph. Hope that makes more sense.

1682447307499.png

I don't know if it's all DC pumps, but the percentage of flow is not linear and there is a minimum. Meaning a 2000gph pump cannot run at 200gph when set to 10%. Using the 0-10v to control my Octo Pulse powerheads, anything below 30% will not even turn on the pump. With my Neptune COR pumps, anything from 1% to 35% power I see the pumps spinning at the same RPM (via apex) which tells me that's the minimum.

I get that there may be a certain power minimum and thus maybe flow, but 60-100% of the max output seems very limiting. I have Vectras at home and I just tried on an S1. There is a significant difference between 5% and 20%.

I don’t get the part about the gate valve

Hard to explain but I can compare it from past experience.
  • On my old red rea 425XL
    • when I turn the gate valve to the right the overflow water level increases
    • when I turn the gate valve to the left the overflow water level decreases.
    • The point is I can turn it either right/left and can visible see the water level go up/down by an inch or so and I pick the best water level.
  • On the IM40L
    • If I turn the the gate valve left (small nudge), the overflow box water level would decrease about 2-3 inches.
    • If I turn the gate valve right (small nudge), the overflow box increase about 2-3 inches which would spill into the emergency drain.
  • Just a guess, but I am assuming that there is too much waterflow where nudging the gate value either right or left is increasing/decreasing the overflow water by big margins from what I have experienced on my previous tank.

How many drains? 2 or 3?
Usually first drain should be submerged completely, and a little water should go down the second drain in my experience

That looks normal right there. Not sure why you’d change it?

Thanks Mike. I probably should have asked that question first. I usually have the water line about 1/2 inch lower than the emergency pipe. With the current flow, it is either what you see in the picture or the water halfway down by adjusting the gate valve.

If you think that is ok, then I would just leave it as is.

Back