Jestersix

PSA: heatwave and pge shutdown

1662429854468.png

That definitely is cool, "distributed power generation" should be a thing, and it should be a way to get rid of companies like PG&E, but alas they gotta own all the lines and every chance they get need to push legislation (the fact they do that is another gripe) to penalize solar customers.

Rolling power outages have started

Lucky you. It’s hard to believe that over half of PGE customers are close enough to a hospital or fire dept to be exempt. I wonder what else qualifies and how much politics or corruption plays a part in drawing those boxes.
I am disgusted with how energy politics, generation, sourcing, and pricing plays out in this state and would be the first to say that we’re ALL getting the shaft. In this instance some less than others but it’s still BS. The hand that feeds was cut off before the empty one was full of the alternatives. Because my portable AC doesn’t cut it and leaves my place at 85+ degrees inside on a day like this…

My small bottle of thin CA glue solidified. Should have put it back in the fridge :eek:

7030AEE5-B446-42A8-AB28-35D2B88C52F1.jpeg

I wonder if being in block 50 increases your home value now. I’d pay more now that outages are much more common.
It may someday.
We are block 50 for now, but sketchy. The fire department down the street was shut down, but still used for ambulance storage and such.

My fan based evaporative cooling is not keeping up. It is in the garage, which is 95+ right now.
Moving fans to display tank inside.

I don't seem to be included todays rolling outage based on my number but my generator is standing by. AC is struggling to maintain 80F.

My block isn't included either, which would be hilarious if they did shut me off, because shutting me off would actually decrease the available electricity even more due to solar and lack of big electrical things like AC, during daylight hours I am a net producer of energy. I do wonder if they take any of that into account, as I'd assume a vast majority of solar users are grid tied and stop producing if "the grid" is disconnected.

I built mine. It’s off grid. No permits. It cost me around 4G. I got lucky and meant a kid that was a solar programmer. He sold me a 25G system for around 3G. I did the install on a ground mount and wiring. It’s super easy. Solar companies are a huge rip off.
If anyone needs help or would like to talk about solar. Just hit me up.

It would be cool to make a build thread on this process!

Weathered the worst of it I hope. GHL 5 fan bank and portable AC unit. Feel lucky the power never went out despite the Zone 50 designation. Fell asleep with the AC still cranking night before last and the tank heaters actually kicked on. The inside temp was around 86 with the AC on during the peak of the heat.

112g Temp Heat Wave.JPG

I have to thank this thread for saving my butt. When I saw this thread it made me go order a battery air pump which came in on Monday. Well last night we lost power and it had me scrambling to get that air pump up and running. Stupidly, I forgot to charge the thing. Luckily I have some power banks for phones and just stuck it on there. Power was only out a couple hours but I was ready for it to be an all night thing. Now, I just need to get the battery powered portable fans up and running and charge up all the power banks.

I have two of these (different brand but all the same) for fans and at the highest setting I had them last nearly 3 hours. At the lowest setting I can't even tell you how long, it says 10 hours. Pair that with a good size powerbank and I think you'd be good for a long while. Also, they use 18650 Lithium batteries so easy to swap out and charge. The great thing about 18650 is that many flashlights use that battery as well so you may already own some if the flashlight is rechargeable.

https://smile.amazon.com/HandFan-Handheld-Rechargeable-Operated-Fan%EF%BC%88Black%EF%BC%89/dp/B06XW3HZBC/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3FXVC6YG027EV&keywords=opolar%2Bfan&qid=1662568255&sprefix=opolar%2Bfan%2Caps%2C239&sr=8-6&th=1

Back