Reef nutrition

Randy's Red Sea Reefer 250

You’ve got to do a side by side comparison of the dslr and the iPhone.

iPhone 11 Pro
Photo%20Jun%2012%2C%2011%2000%2014%20PM.jpg

DSLR (Slight disadvantage though because the light arms in the way made this kind of hard to take)
reefer250_20200621_8795.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad for a phone but the dslr still has better color. It’s most noticeable in the shadows.

Yeah, I knew the dslr was going to be better by far, but I think the iPhone 11 Pro camera is good enough that it will replace me pulling out the dslr in some cases.

I do occasionally, but I rarely use the information to actually do anything. More a curiosity thing. And I stopped dosing any trace elements (used to use Red Sea trace colors). I’m down to a 15% water change now every 7-10 days. Some tanks less.
Intersted in a bet?
I wager your po4 is not 0.05. Its higher....
If I lose I'll pay for your ICP
Intersted;)

Intersted in a bet?
I wager your po4 is not 0.05. Its higher....
If I lose I'll pay for your ICP
Intersted;)

That’s a losing bet. I know it’s higher at the moment. Around 0.06-0.07 ppm. Is this the theory about low phosphates make acros grow vertical and high makes them go horizontal? If so, there are other acros in the same tank that are growing vertical just fine.

That’s a losing bet. I know it’s higher at the moment. Around 0.06-0.07 ppm. Is this the theory about low phosphates make acros grow vertical and high makes them go horizontal? If so, there are other acros in the same tank that are growing vertical just fine.
Ok, I would wager its higher than 0.8...how about that?
And no, this bet is not about the vertical growth. Indeed it's been speculated that higher po4 encourage horizontal growth, I do see this and do it intentionally in my tank, but it's all anecdotal no more. I do think some acros do exhibit this behavior against po4 and some do not.
It's also speculated that flow have similar effect. I think there is some truth here but depend on the acro type and not blanket statment.
Am predicting your po4 based in couple things I see in your updates.
The color
The growth
Your feeding and bio load
Your biological filtration method
You do not use gfo often or not aggressive
And finally you using dead skeleton based media.
So if you intersted we can do this experiment and see.
If it turned out to be high, maybe it's worth trying to bring it down and see the impact on the growth.

Last edited:
Ok, I would wager its higher yuan 0.8...how about that?
And no, this bet is not about the vertical growth. Indeed it's been speculated that higher po4 encourage horizontal growth, I do see this and do it intentionally in my tank, but it's all anecdotal no more. I do think some acros do exhibit this behavior against po4 and some do not.
It's also speculated that flow have similar effect. I think there is some truth here but depend on the acro type and not blanket statment.
Am predicting your po4 based in couple things I see in your updates.
The color
The growth
Your feeding and bio load
Your biological filtration method
You do not use gfo often or not aggressive
And finally you using dead skeleton based media.
So if you intersted we can do this experiment and see.
If it turned out to be high, maybe it's worth trying to bring it down and see the impact on the growth.

Well, unless my Hanna Phosphorus ULR checker is completely off, my phosphates are around 0.06.

0.8 is pretty high. @RandyC, I think I’d be comfortable taking that bet if I were you. If it is indeed that high, it would be worth the $40 (or whatever it is), plus you get all the other elements tested while you’re at it.

Back