Our mission

Re: Newbie..

BAYMAC said:
FWIW have you ever known a spammer personally? I've asked this question to countless people, no one has ever said yes :( I want to hear why the spammer thinks it works :)

Oddly enough, yes. I program Perl as a side business (semi-retired) and I've been asked to work jobs for spammers before. I guess I shouldn't say I know them personally but we most certainly discussed at length their motives in an effort to get me to take the job. The short answer is because it works but I can fill you in on more details when I see you at a meeting. This is probably not the best place to dig into that subject.

I don't want to derail Ershaddy's thread :)

~Charlie

Piper said:
BAYMAC said:
FWIW have you ever known a spammer personally? I've asked this question to countless people, no one has ever said yes :( I want to hear why the spammer thinks it works :)

Oddly enough, yes. I program Perl as a side business (semi-retired) and I've been asked to work jobs for spammers before. I guess I shouldn't say I know them personally but we most certainly discussed at length their motives in an effort to get me to take the job. The short answer is because it works but I can fill you in on more details when I see you at a meeting. This is probably not the best place to dig into that subject.

I don't want to derail Ershaddy's thread :)

~Charlie

All this time I thought you were a Nigerian prince! :D

I would love to be enlightened about spammer motives. There was a guy I met who worked at Google with AdWords who once told me (in jest, I'm sure) that they had no idea who was actually clicking on the ads.

lattehiatus said:
All this time I thought you were a Nigerian prince! :D

No royalty in my lineage that I know of but I have enhanced certain parts on my anatomy and I have one heck of a medicine cabinet!!

lattehiatus said:
I would love to be enlightened about spammer motives. There was a guy I met who worked at Google with AdWords who once told me (in jest, I'm sure) that they had no idea who was actually clicking on the ads.

Think about spam as if it were junk-mail in your mailbox. Most of of toss it in the trash but some people actually fall for it. Same concept with spam. The folks I talked with said that it only takes a very small return percentage to make a little money out of it. Other spammers use it as a gauge to see if there is a warm body behind the e-mail address and then sell bulk address lists for a profit to other spammers. There are certainly other spammers out there that are not so harmless as well. I didn't really run into that type of spammer.

You have to keep in mind that many of the folks doing this are not necessarily the sharpest tools in the shed to begin with.

~Charlie

Back