Reef nutrition

Recommend a good "gyre" type pump please!

My tank has an MP-40 on either side and a small Koralia in the center (so left and right random pattern flow, and a center pump with steady flow).

I'm thinking that a gyre to replace the center (center back, between overflow towers) pump might help keep crap from settling and just to add some extra flow.

So I see that there are basically two "name brands", Icecap and Maxspect.

Any clear winner between the two? Thanks!

Tank is 180 g

V

From what I recall Icecap licensed the Maxspect technology in their pumps (unlike Jebao), however the Icecap ones are cheaper, not sure if they means they are really "cheaper".

That said Maxspect is coming out with the 300 series of Gyre pumps, so I wouldn't buy a 200 series as they have a tendency to stop supporting older stuff.

As mentioned Red Sea is coming out with their own Gyre, probably also licensed, so it's just different brands doing the same thing who puts more manufacturing skill into putting them together.

Red sea started advertising their gyre pumps last year. I don't know if they are on the market yet.

They all license the design from Maxspect (except jebao who is from China and doesn't care). The maxspect are a little higher quality pump but I prefer icecap controller.

It will be interesting if the new Maxspect 350 is truly quiet.
That was my big complaint before.
The throughly meaningless dB graph they put out in some release makes me skeptical.

I also want a couple along the back.
In my case, pointing downward at the back, to push detritus on the bottom forward, and
so they are not pointing directly at corals.

I like the maxspect form factor, but they are noisy and tend to stop with the least bit of buildup. Maybe the new ones will be better?

Wish someone could make a version with no cord in the tank
I'm not an engineer but I can't figure out how that would work.... Unless it was custom built for the width of your tank and driven on both ends instead of the center. Even then, it may conflict with Ecotechs patent but I'm not familiar enough with that patent to know what it covers.

No can do, Ecotech probably holds some very vague patent that applies to magnetic coupling transferring power through a wall to a pump that moves water. Not just the design that it uses, but to any design. But all joking and ripping on Ecotech aside, I think the main problem is that the power is not transferred like a wireless phone charger or wireless toothbrush charger which has to be VERY close otherwise the efficiency goes down the crapper with distance very fast, it actually uses one magnet to spin another magnet, which is forever why Vortech pumps are stuck against the wall with no ability to angle them. And any pump that works like them has to be like that and yeah they got patents on that shit, so wait 20 years from the first Vortech patent to get knockoffs and that's all they will be, knockoffs.

Now that said, I understand the cord in tank bit doesn't bother me as long as it's not a bunch of cords. I see people with Vortech pumps on the sides of tanks, and IMO that doesn't look any better, a cord is still there just outside. Plus if you want to look through that panel you're kind of screwed because you can't even tuck it in the corner angled slightly forward.

I didn’t say I don’t know why nobody makes it. .. just wish they would. I agree about the pumps sticking out on the sides. That’s why i have all mine on the black back wall.

My tank's running a single Maxspect XF280, replacing a first gen maxspect gyre pump. The newer pump is a little better built (not that I had major problems with the old one - just a vinegar soak every 6-12mo). The newer controller is MUCH better than the older one. I do wish it were a little quieter though.

I have three sets of Maxspect Gyre XF250s, all silent and push an amazing amount of water. These are oversized for a 5’ long tank so I run them maybe 40-50%. You have to clean them by running in vinegar water before they get to the point that you need to take them apart to clean. MP40s can’t be submerged in vinegar and have to be taken apart for cleaning. Choose your battle...

Was thinking of the XF250 on my 200DD, but enough time passed that you can really buy them anymore since they're ramping up for the 300 series. I absolutely love the fact you only need to buy the controller version once (at least for every 2), and you can buy a "pump only" version that gets controlled by the first. Too bad Ecotech didn't do something similar, but in their wisdom they thought selling a fully functional controller with every pump was what the way to go.

I rather wish they had a simple always-on one.
No reverse, nothing fancy, designed for one speed.
Optimize for noise, efficiency, and cost.

I have three sets of Maxspect Gyre XF250s, all silent and push an amazing amount of water. These are oversized for a 5’ long tank so I run them maybe 40-50%. You have to clean them by running in vinegar water before they get to the point that you need to take them apart to clean. MP40s can’t be submerged in vinegar and have to be taken apart for cleaning. Choose your battle...
How often do you have to clean? My MP40s rarely need cleaning...if ever.

I think if you avoid them getting a lot of light it will greatly reduce the need for cleaning. There can still be calcium deposits or vermetid worm growth etc... but I think the light loving algae growth is by far the biggest thing that needs to be cleaned off of vortechs.

So it's been 4 years and I haven't replaced that pathetic back pump yet. Now that the RedSea Reefwave has been out for a few years... any changes in recommendations?
For now I'm just throwing a maxijet back there to augment flow, but think a fancy gyre pump might still be the ticket.

V

Back