Our mission

Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650

iani

Supporting Member
I will finally be setting up a tank is my office. It has been a long time since I've had an actually reef tank. This has been a long time coming. I should be getting the tank on Thursday. I am starting to get my equipment together.

Equipment list
1 red sea gyre pump (Will place vertical behind the overflow) I am using this tank not as a Peninsula tank only will be viewable on two sides
2 mp40s along the back wall
2 Kessil ap9x fixtures
Noopsyche 48" hybrid fixture with 4 54w T5s (blue plus bulbs)
Reef Octopus elite 200 skimmer with neck cleaner
Reef genesis system renew auto water changer
Clearview lid in two pieces
Schuran jetstream calcium reactor
dual stage regulator
Kamoer fx-stp with wifi
Apex EL with a Trident

I also want to get a waste collector for my skimmer but unsure at this point how to get it to work. Does anyone have any opinions about my chosen equipment list? I want to get some input in case anyone sees any glaring issues. Thanks

Order your clear view lid ASAP, they have a 3 month backlog right now. I ordered end of September and am expecting to get mine in the next 2 weeks. Although they may have stock for the Red Sea tank so you may have a shorter wait.

For the skimmer collection, I do not have first hand experience with them, but have seen a lot of YouTube reefing people using the avast marine one that connects to a standard 5 gal bucket. It has a built in carbon filter to prevent stench and it’s gotta last awhile since it’s 5 gal.

What’s the reef genesis? I’m going to look that up cause I’m interested in AWC too

I did order the lid last week. I'm going the custom route as I wanted it in two segments, so I could remove just half the lid if I wanted two.
Reef genesis is a metering system, from what I understand it works well but the support just isn't there. It has two buckets that fill with 1 gallon each, when each hit the float it dumps one into your drain and the other into the tank. I should be getting that today.

I was leaning towards the avast 5 gallon bucket, but I am just unsure where to put it at the moment if I have room for it. I have had an avast collector in the past.

Sounds exciting!

I see you’re setting up in office, you’re getting Apex, and you mention skimmer collection. Suspecting you be away from the tank at times and busy. This is in your office, after all.

I do not see a reverse osmosis source water filter in your inventory. You’ll want a decent one if needed.

There is a lot happening with tank automation that will help if you are not aware. Systems are performing auto top-off of evaporated water (Apex ATO System) and auto water changes (using Apex DOS). There are auto feeders too, Automation, I find, allows me to concentrate time on other details. Or just enjoy.

Sounds exciting!

I see you’re setting up in office, you’re getting Apex, and you mention skimmer collection. Suspecting you be away from the tank at times and busy. This is in your office, after all.

I do not see a reverse osmosis source water filter in your inventory. You’ll want a decent one if needed.

There is a lot happening with tank automation that will help if you are not aware. Systems are performing auto top-off of evaporated water (Apex ATO System) and auto water changes (using Apex DOS). There are auto feeders too, Automation, I find, allows me to concentrate time on other details. Or just enjoy.

And I just noticed you’ve been a member since 2007. None of this is new to you.

Yes I did get a RO/DI system from Karson, wanted it to be as simple as possible. I have two 45 gallon water containers they will be plumbed one as salt and one as fresh. I have a pan world pump for that. I will be doing the ATO from neptune as well. I have the renew genesis for auto water changes. I did not want to mess with peristaltic pumps for that. As the tubing gets old the calibration gets off. Its being set up in my dental office and I want to be as hands off as possible.

I have the same tank and I love it. I highly recommend the RFG nozzles for the return - they give you a nice bit of flow across the top.
I'll look those nozzles up. I do have a 3d printer maybe I could print something similar.

Since it will be in your office, have you tested out your co2 level during the day? Might want to address that with a co2 scrubber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Possibly but I imagine that when at work the lights will be on and consuming CO2 in the water. It will probably work out better this way than vice versa.

CO2 scrubber can always be added after the fact. It's not like you'll have a full blown mature reef on day one, and your Apex can measure the pH throughout the day just to see what it looks like to see if it's really necessary.

I'll be getting the tank tomorrow. I'll start working on getting it all together when I have some time off work coming up. Thanks goes out to Karson and Joe at Aquatic Collection for coming through big time.

CO2 scrubber can always be added after the fact. It's not like you'll have a full blown mature reef on day one, and your Apex can measure the pH throughout the day just to see what it looks like to see if it's really necessary.
True, I can always add one on later. I'm doubting that I will need one right now but who knows.

I have a lot of work to do.

Attachments

• 20201210_212311.jpg
    20201210_212311.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 285
Looks like a great spot for the tank, that’s gonna look awesome all set up. The stands definitely a pain in the ass but it seems the one upside to Red Sea’s proprietary parts and systems is that it’s hard to confuse where what goes. Good luck setting it up! Stoked to see this evolve

Back