got ethical husbandry?

Reef 3D printing request thread

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
We have a bunch of members in the club who have 3D printers. We have a bunch of members who would like 3D printed reefing stuff. This thread is to connect those willing to help with those who'd like some stuff printed.

Rules
  1. This is meant to be community-focused, not selling things. If you print something for someone, please don't ask for more than materials cost.
  2. Keep requests reasonable.

How does this work?
  1. Find something you want to have 3D printed
  2. Provide the link to the print file(s) in your post (see the next section for more info)
  3. Provide info on how many of each item you'd like
  4. If someone agrees to your request, coordinate a pickup with them
  5. Enjoy your shiny new object!

How do I find print files?

The Humblefish 3D Printed Parts Archive is a good place to start. If what you see isn't there, you can find additional items on websites like www.thingiverse.com (for instance, just search Hanna for some nifty things that aren't on the Humblefish thread), or ask if anyone might have a file for something you're specifically looking for.

Who's volunteered to help?

At the time of writing, both myself and @Srt4eric are willing to help. However, since I live a couple hours away in Roseville, pickup would be limited to the frag swap on 6/1 (unless you're going to be in the area). We encourage more people to offer to help!

@JustinBolton is in need of “power brick holders” for 5 xr30-g6, vectra l2 and 4xmp40s
@JustinBolton any specific files you'd like to have done? I've used some before that I can share later tonight, but if you have any in mind I'll use that.

EDIT: Also, reiterating the request that - if there's something you want printed - please use the above resources to provide the specific file for printing.

Hello everyone,

anyone know if the copepod breaded boxes work or just a gimmick? I have seen multiple versions online for sale and noticed the link posted had one for 3D printing. I would be interested if people have noticed a better population using one.
2A02522D-A1EB-4031-8762-EAFECAB85DCB.jpeg

Hello everyone,

anyone know if the copepod breaded boxes work or just a gimmick? I have seen multiple versions online for sale and noticed the link posted had one for 3D printing. I would be interested if people have noticed a better population using one. View attachment 55055
They always seemed dumb to me when you can just have porous live rock rubble in your sump, and get the benefit of having more surface area for bacteria.

Okay copy that. Sounds like what I thought. I think I will just grab a small porous volcano rock for the same idea. Thank you.
The old guidance on lava rock is that it could potentially leach heavy metals in a tank. Granted this was in the pre ICP testing days, so no idea if that's been proven to be fact lately. Did a quick search and some people said they got iron, vanadium, and nickel from lava sand, but it probably depends on where it was collected.

Hello everyone,

anyone know if the copepod breaded boxes work or just a gimmick? I have seen multiple versions online for sale and noticed the link posted had one for 3D printing. I would be interested if people have noticed a better population using one. View attachment 55055
Could also just use a course sponge and accomplish the same outcome. Surface area for them to hide and multiple. Or a nice piece of very porous live rock.

The old guidance on lava rock is that it could potentially leach heavy metals in a tank. Granted this was in the pre ICP testing days, so no idea if that's been proven to be fact lately. Did a quick search and some people said they got iron, vanadium, and nickel from lava sand, but it probably depends on where it was collected.
Nevermind on that idea lol I’d rather let the pods be then to mess with water chemistry risking it doing something to the inhabitants.

Frag plug cages, like the little holders that you can put in a cup so the coral itself won’t rattle around, might be pretty good to have circulating around being reused

They always seemed dumb to me when you can just have porous live rock rubble in your sump, and get the benefit of having more surface area for bacteria.
I have one sitting in the return sump chamber. When I took it out as I was swapping pumps -and a few popped out when I shook it-so maybe?
Piece of live rock should work too.

Back