Reef nutrition

ReefBot water tester Review

sfsuphysics

BOD
Staff member
Well I think reagents simply add to the complexity of the system. In the same way doing a pH test with reagents is more complicated than simply putting a probe into the water. While yeah the underlying technology is more simple, for the end user it's more work.

So you have a reagent based auto tester you need, to get the reagent to a test cup, involves a pump of some sort, a syringe for accuracy and as you found out replacement of parts as they can gunk up, some way to accurate mix tank water with reagents, a way to optically distinguish when said reagents change colors (or what the color represents), then a way to clean your container to remove it of all residue (I'm guessing this is done with RO/DI water?

Now I'm not going to pretend I know how the probes work, and they very well might work differently than I think, but cup to hold tank water, put probe in, read voltage and translate that to a value, rinse out cup.

rygh

Webmaster
Staff member
So I don't know the GHL details either, but the ion director does require two special lab grade reference solutions.
Not really so different from reagents. And likely single source and not free.

Also, depending on the ion probe membrane, they do wear out, get deposits of crud, and so on.
So I would expect it to require maintenance of some type.

sfsuphysics

BOD
Staff member
Yeah the video I posted mentions the replacement of the probes, it's been a bit since I watched it but I think he said $50 each, and each is good for 400-800 tests (or was it 200-400?) regardless. Maybe the reference solution simply is a calibration, so no need to dose that in a precise manner. I dunno, I'll just wait until it comes out before speculating too much, who knows maybe they pull a complete 180 and say they cost $100 each and need to replaced every month. I think I read somewhere that the one from Spain is super expensive though, like makes Triton look like an API test kit.
And ultimately that's going to be what dictates if I decide to go in any direction for testing, price. Make it out of reach and then the convenience of having something directly influence my parameters is not something I care about, take the KH Director from GHL, at $450 + $20 x 4 times a year, and I can very happily do my weekly alkalinity testing on my tank by hand and adjust as necessary, after all it's one of the easiest tests to do.