Cali Kid Corals

RO system troubleshooting

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
I have a BRS RO system with a Smart Buddie. The system has a pressure gauge and came with a 100 gpd membrane. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the pressure gauge was showing over 100 psi. So, I guessed that the membrane was done for and I bought a new one. However, I decided on a 75 gpd membrane - thinking I would get less waste. I put in the new membrane, but I’m still getting over 100 psi at the gauge.

Any ideas? Does the membrane flow rating change anything? Did I do something wrong?

^^ this ^^.

I have the same setup. There were some pieces that needed to be removed per the Smart Buddie install instructions. You did that?

The smart Buddie does away with the flow restrictor. Also, it is not adjustable. The gauge measures the pressure against the membrane.

^^ this ^^.

I have the same setup. There were some pieces that needed to be removed per the Smart Buddie install instructions. You did that?
This is great timing as I just bought one. Is there any videos on how to add this to your current six stage BRS RODI setup? I know we have to remove some of the existing flow restrictors etc, but want to make sure before I removed them.

6EB18F14-BB06-48E5-A8D3-0B65D629DCE7.jpeg

The smart Buddie does away with the flow restrictor. Also, it is not adjustable. The gauge measures the pressure against the membrane.
wouldn't that be your prob? if the booster can't be adjusted, then regardless of membrane, it's driving the same pressure?

This is great timing as I just bought one. Is there any videos on how to add this to your current six stage BRS RODI setup? I know we have to remove some of the existing flow restrictors etc, but want to make sure before I removed them.
The manual is rather quite helpful - the illustrations they have are very succinct.
Let me know if you have any specific questions!

found this on R2R -- looks like 100psi is about right. the restrictor on the other hand... not sure... :

The Booster pump is located under the top switches.
Side view.jpg

The Smart Buddie was designed to boost the supply water pressure in units ranging from 50 to 100 gallon per day RO unit.
  • The typical boosted pressure is 100 PSI.
  • The flow restrictor is 300CC.
  • Low pressure switch activates in the 4.35 - 7.25 PSI range
  • High pressure switch activates in the 33.35 - 36.25 PSI range

This is from BRS’s installation guide:

When installing a new membrane you actually want to flush preservative out of the membrane itself so you want to keep your flush valve closed, allowing the unit to run like normal for an hour (and discarding the water).

Something is definitely wrong. I ran it for an hour and the membrane pressure is 105 psi. The output TDS started at 400 but ended up at 38. It produced about 1/4 of a gallon.

Before I changed the membrane, I was getting 17 TDS.

Back