Cali Kid Corals

RODI System Not Making Water - Can’t figure it out

Wlachnit

Past President
My RODI system stopped making water and I can’t seem to troubleshoot it. I have 100+ psi going into the system and I have water going into the the RO canister no problem. But, I have no permeate coming out of the RO canister. So, replaced the RO membrane with a brand new RO membrane and still no permeate coming out. I even removed the little check valve elbow thinking that the check valve inside the little elbow got stuck. Still, no permeate….what gives? What am I missing?

I would check tubing for blockage that builds up pressure, as well as check valve and flush valve for proper function. Do you have an auto shutoff?

Water is passing through all of the filters and coming out just fine. So, water is going into the RO canister, no problem.
I do have an ASO and I disassembled to make sure it was working fine.
I removed the check valve to make sure that that wasn’t causing the issue.
I have removed all of the tubing And isolated to just the RO canister.
Water is coming out of the concentrate line (waste line) no problem

Last edited:
What a pain. Can only be a pressure problem, right? Flow restrictor?
Can there be an air leak somehow in the membrane housing without leaking water? I guess not.
And no physical blockage just after pressure gauge? And you trust the gauge?
It just stopped working suddenly without you making any changes?

Here’s a pic.
2E3EC132-7DB1-4575-8AE3-1749E2078496.jpeg

What a pain. Can only be a pressure problem, right? Flow restrictor?
Can there be an air leak somehow in the membrane housing without leaking water? I guess not.
And no physical blockage just after pressure gauge? And you trust the gauge?
It just stopped working suddenly without you making any changes?
Well…It had started making less and less water over the last couple of weeks. And then nothing several days ago. I kinda trust the gauge, mostly because water is flowing as it goes into the RO canister. I do have a booster pump that increases the pressure according to the gauge. I did think about a leak with the membrane housing, but yeah, I think I would see water all over the place. The only thing left is that the flush valve started to give out? I will try to replace that (Ive ordered one but it wont be here for a few days).

Maybe I can't tell in the photo, but is your product water coming out of the elbow closest to the center of the RO housing? That's how it should be.
And the flow restrictor? I don't think they last forever.

There is a small chance I have an extra flush valve from an ordering mistake, but I can't check until tomorrow morning.

Pull the ro membrane and pour water in the housing to make sure the output isn't somehow clogged? Make sure nothing has happened to the oring seat which could cause water to leak by.

You’re absolutely sure the waste and product lines aren’t reversed? Kinda looks like it to me in that pic…
Have you tried switching them?

Plenty of wastewater being generated. In fact, it is all wastewater. I did check to make sure the wate water and the permeate outputs weren’t switched.

Plenty of wastewater being generated. In fact, it is all wastewater. I did check to make sure the wate water and the permeate outputs weren’t switched.
if waste water is being generated, and plenty... that sounds like you are not getting the right back pressure from the flow restrictor. I would change this out.

Pull the ro membrane and pour water in the housing to make sure the output isn't somehow clogged? Make sure nothing has happened to the oring seat which could cause water to leak by.
I just tried putting water in the empty housing and nothing is coming out of the permeate line suggesting that the little check valve isn’t working correctly? However, I had checked it by depressing the the little spring and was able to blow through it. Unless gravity (head pressure from a full housing, which is what 10”) isn't enough to push water through the little valve.

I just tried putting water in the empty housing and nothing is coming out of the permeate line suggesting that the little check valve isn’t working correctly? However, I had checked it by depressing the the little spring and was able to blow through it. Unless gravity (head pressure from a full housing, which is what 10”) isn't enough to push water through the little valve.
Ahh I didn't realize there was a check valve in there. :oops:

Back