Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

Ryan’s 40G first reef

Guest
Joined
Jan 17, 2022
Messages
1,103
Made it home and found my ATO empty and my return chamber 2 inches low. Tank sitter got too busy and thought it would be fine without ATO water. Lessons learned. My corals grew a decent amount in two weeks! I'll take any outcome other than a tank crash.
 
Guest
Joined
Jan 17, 2022
Messages
1,103
Corals decided to color up while I was gone!
Monti skin has color instead of being pale, mushroom had a baby, and gonis grew!
08CFF806-6EF5-4604-A5D9-BDF00CC49D0D.jpeg
5834B6A9-BD12-4B3B-A529-062D30AC0809.jpeg
06F931F3-5D9E-428E-956F-22383BC6BECB.jpeg
F6BF90B0-FEE6-4EFE-AD3D-CAA142276BE7.jpeg
 
Guest
Joined
Jan 17, 2022
Messages
1,103
There is a lesson in there. Let things be for a bit and they get happy.
I didn’t think I messed with my tank THAT much. My sitter still completely nearly all daily/weekly upkeep chores just like I do.
Lesson learned.
 
Guest
Joined
Jan 17, 2022
Messages
1,103
I've decided that I'm over having 0 N & 0 P and risking dinos. I ordered sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphate and I have 2 dosing heads free anyways. I'll go extremely slowly and target the Redfield ratio around 5ppm nitrate and and 0.3ppm phosphate. I'm hoping for better coral growth and coloration.

Did you verify you're getting 18ml out of the tubes?
Yes, it seems to spit out 18ML. I noticed sometimes it spits out air halfway through so I'll have to figure out why.
 
Guest
Joined
Jan 17, 2022
Messages
1,103
Hung my light bracket today. Didn’t squash as much shadowing as I would have expected. Maybe I need 6 XR15s :)
Dialed in PAR:
220-320 top of rocks/sps rack
175-225 euphyllia rack
100-175 lps rack
70-110 Back corners and sides
4E4F3FDA-ADA4-4E01-B938-845897C9C792.jpeg
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2021
Messages
2,206
I've decided that I'm over having 0 N & 0 P and risking dinos. I ordered sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphate and I have 2 dosing heads free anyways. I'll go extremely slowly and target the Redfield ratio around 5ppm nitrate and and 0.3ppm phosphate. I'm hoping for better coral growth and coloration.


Yes, it seems to spit out 18ML. I noticed sometimes it spits out air halfway through so I'll have to figure out why.
If you have a kitchen scale, I'd weigh your bottle, and then weight it again after a couple days. You should see it drop 18g'ish daily.

The air bubble is suspicious. In my VOSS bottle setups, air bubble has always meant I'm not getting output like I expect, because if air can get in then backflow is occurring too.
 
Guest
Joined
Jan 17, 2022
Messages
1,103
Params:
Salinity: 1.026
Ph: I stopped testing because daytime high is 8.2 or better
Alk: 10.5
Calc: 460
Mag: 1450
N: 2
P: 0

Of course I get my first nitrate reading in 3+ months after I order the supplies to dose nitrate....
 
Guest
Joined
Jan 17, 2022
Messages
1,103
If you have a kitchen scale, I'd weigh your bottle, and then weight it again after a couple days. You should see it drop 18g'ish daily.

The air bubble is suspicious. In my VOSS bottle setups, air bubble has always meant I'm not getting output like I expect, because if air can get in then backflow is occurring too.
Verified that both dosing output lines spit out bubbles despite the lines being fully primed when running for more than 10 seconds. My dosing container has depleted to nearly empty so I know its getting most of what I ask it to dose.
 
Guest
Joined
Jan 17, 2022
Messages
1,103
Have you tried broadcast feeding with like oyster eggs, reef roids, phyto etc to raise nutrients and feed corals?
I broadcast feed 20ML/day of A/B+. I’d like to setup a mini fridge to also dose eggs and phyto!
 
Guest
Joined
Jan 17, 2022
Messages
1,103
AFR dosing is dialing in at between 16 and 24ML per day of consumption. Alk seems to be much more stable in this zone. Still feeding 20ML of A/B+ per day with zero impact on nutrients. Nitrate dosing is setup and I now have to begin to dial it in. Phosphate dosing will come after.
 
Guest
Joined
Jan 17, 2022
Messages
1,103
Params:
Salinity: 1.026
Ph: 7.7
Alk: 10.0
Calc: 450
Mag: 1450
N: 6
P: 0.05

I'm excited to have measurable N&P! Turns out I didn't need to dose phosphate, I just needed a Hanna checker to see that I do have a little phosphate.
 
Last edited:
Guest
Joined
Jan 17, 2022
Messages
1,103
I usually have my window open with a box fan pulling air out but I've been running my AC non stop becasue of this heat wave. Checked my pH and it's in the mid to high 7s. Yikes.
Maybe it's time for Kalkwasser?
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2021
Messages
3,509
I usually have my window open with a box fan pulling air out but I've been running my AC non stop becasue of this heat wave. Checked my pH and it's in the mid to high 7s. Yikes.
Maybe it's time for Kalkwasser?
Or...ignore it and let things be. The weather cools off in a week, open your window then.
 
Top