Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

Separate Refugium

Guest
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
5,655
I had it running with a slow drain, my idea was to have the algae feed off of the junk that went down the drain then gravity drain into the sump.
You need to make sure the algae will not block the drain, a large bulkhead would be ideal or two 1”.
I have to find pictures, they were on a build thread I posted long ago under photobucket link but now they don’t show.
I think my fuge was 15/20G tall plexi tank, black back.
I had an all black fuge but I gave it to one of the members long ago.
 
Past President
Joined
Mar 26, 2010
Messages
19,008
Of course you did!
Yeah Bruce, just use the t from your return and put a 2" bulkhead or 2x 1"bulkheads in the fife at a higher level than your sump. That will work
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
5,655
Frag Tank Fuge2.jpg


Frag Tank Fuge.jpg
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
8,539
Don’t over complicate it
Consider it it’s own tank with return pump and drain and light
2 drains are better than 1
 
Guest
Joined
Mar 2, 2015
Messages
4,004
Refugium from Royal Exclusiv. Part of the Dreambox sump system

2664a2d8b003ef92783a507a131727ea.jpeg



Fuge from Advanced Acrylics.

81271d1c019eea7eef8b3adca35a6d4f.jpeg





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Guest
Joined
Mar 2, 2015
Messages
4,004
Just as an example to base your design around.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
8,539
You can fuge in a sweater box!
I had a low flow 3ft sweater box that was above the tank with direct return interest the display tank
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2016
Messages
6,423
What is a sweater box? Is it like a trough?

I googled them too. They are deep plastic boxed to store up to a dozen folded sweaters or so. But the point is any plastic bin should work. So it's just am matter of considering whether I care about form over function at all.
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
8,539
I’ve used the drawer from the store refrigerator as a tank
You could easily build a tank from the scrap section of tap plastic
But as a caveat: I would not fill anything more than half way if the “bin” was not inteded to be filled with water
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2016
Messages
6,423
Maybe I'm better off just using a black plastic bin of some kind then? That way if I remove the refugium section from the main sump at a later date I'd have less spillover causeing algae buildup in the sump.
 
Guest
Joined
Sep 28, 2016
Messages
1,510
Why not just go glass? 20g is $20. Easy to paint sides to black it out. Easy to drill and place bulkheads. Cheaper than acrylic.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2016
Messages
6,423
Why not just go glass? 20g is $20. Easy to paint sides to black it out. Easy to drill and place bulkheads. Cheaper than acrylic.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no way to cut a glass tank for a bulkhead.
 
Top