Cali Kid Corals

Slowly getting closer to that new build

I’m finishing our basement so I decided to reinforce the area where the fish tank will sit above it before the drywall goes on.

72054415-326F-4D0D-9492-2304512A7D48.jpeg

I added a couple extra steel I beams. From what it looks like, each one on its own will hold about 12,000 lbs. on the low end for the span they make.

Next step I want to add some plumbing and electrical in anticipation.

11 gallons of water weight, 92 lbs, so as long as you lose some weight you’ll be fine standing next to it. Or maybe get some children to feed and maintain.

About freakin time! We will be happy to put together a care package of corals for you when the time comes.
Have you found a local club out there? Maybe we can have a connection and cycle corals back and forth. Surely there are different commonly available corals in different areas.

About freakin time! We will be happy to put together a care package of corals for you when the time comes.
Have you found a local club out there? Maybe we can have a connection and cycle corals back and forth. Surely there are different commonly available corals in different areas.
I did join a club out here. Not as great as this one but not many are.

It is kind of strange how different the market is out here for coral pricing. I saw utter chaos being sold by one of the local vendors for like $80/polyp. I haven’t paid too much attention to it though since I don’t have a tank yet, but the utter chaos caught my eye.

A care package will be much appreciated. I plan on doing a long cycle and taking things slowly to ensure stability. Well, that in addition to having to still build the thing.

Mind explaining how you added the steel beams? I’ve thought about doing something similar to my house. To strengthen the floor for safety of the tanks. But confused how

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mind explaining how you added the steel beams? I’ve thought about doing something similar to my house. To strengthen the floor for safety of the tanks. But confused how

I have two larger steel I beams that are already there supporting the wood floor joists. I simply added a couple more I beams that spanned the existing larger ones. The wood floor joists are about 9-1/2” tall and the I beam I installed is 8-1/8” tall so I was able to slide them in place and then sandwich wood in between to take up the extra space between the I beam and the plywood subfloor above it.

I have two larger steel I beams that are already there supporting the wood floor joists. I simply added a couple more I beams that spanned the existing larger ones. The wood floor joists are about 9-1/2” tall and the I beam I installed is 8-1/8” tall so I was able to slide them in place and then sandwich wood in between to take up the extra space between the I beam and the plywood subfloor above it.

Interesting, can I pm you to discuss more?

Back