Our mission

Soli’s 80 Gallon Shallow Build

For the tank looks great part I could have just as easily been talking to either of you :)

For the mounting question, I was asking @Solitaryensis because I also have a rimless tank, no canopy, limited hanging options, and considering the same type of fixture. Plus the approach looks a little different form others I’ve seen, just interested in more detailed pics and discussion.

For the tank looks great part I could have just as easily been talking to either of you :)

For the mounting question, I was asking @Solitaryensis because I also have a rimless tank, no canopy, limited hanging options, and considering the same type of fixture. Plus the approach looks a little different form others I’ve seen, just interested in more detailed pics and discussion.

I could take some additional pics tonight but prob best to link you to the product and a short video.

https://aquaticlife.com/products/aquatic-life-universal-hybrid-mounting-system-fixture-hangers

It’s a nice option for those who can’t hang from the ceiling. The one drawback is that your tank needs to be centered perfectly behind studs if you want the brackets to be perfectly centered. As you can see, mines are offset a bit. I could have used some heavy duty anchors but wanted to be safe with something fairly heavy over an open tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha got it.
For no canopy I think one good option is this fixture
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/24-h...re-with-led-mounting-system-aquatic-life.html

John Aquatic Life also has a v2 of their fixture, it's considerably more expensive, but looks a bit nicer, has better cord management, dimmable T5 ballasts (I think you still need to supply the external controller though). Also Giesemann has a fixture too. Some other options (why does this feel like de ja vu?)

I could take some additional pics tonight but prob best to link you to the product and a short video.

https://aquaticlife.com/products/aquatic-life-universal-hybrid-mounting-system-fixture-hangers

It’s a nice option for those who can’t hang from the ceiling. The one drawback is that your tank needs to be centered perfectly behind studs if you want the brackets to be perfectly centered. As you can see, mines are offset a bit. I could have used some heavy duty anchors but wanted to be safe with something fairly heavy over an open tank.

To alleviate the need to have studs right where you need them, you can mount a piece of 3/4” plywood across the area above the back of your tank. Screw the plywood to the studs and paint it your wall color. If you use a nice smooth piece of plywood (like maple) then it looks better than just cheap CDX plywood. Then mount the arms to the plywood wherever it’s visually pleasing to you.

Thanks! I didn’t realize aquatic life had their own fixture, hadn’t seen that yet. I’ll check it out.

John Aquatic Life also has a v2 of their fixture, it's considerably more expensive, but looks a bit nicer, has better cord management, dimmable T5 ballasts (I think you still need to supply the external controller though). Also Giesemann has a fixture too. Some other options (why does this feel like de ja vu?)
Hey Mike thanks for the walk down memory lane from our last conversation about this :)

Yeah, I know about the Aquatic Life fixtures, the new version (which I like better), and the Giesemann option... where I’m stuck is a nice looking and solid mount that would work well for my setup. This could be it.

To alleviate the need to have studs right where you need them, you can mount a piece of 3/4” plywood across the area above the back of your tank. Screw the plywood to the studs and paint it your wall color. If you use a nice smooth piece of plywood (like maple) then it looks better than just cheap CDX plywood. Then mount the arms to the plywood wherever it’s visually pleasing to you.

Yeah, I consisted that too but didn’t really like the look/idea of having the plywood back there. Prob a bit cleaner but considerably more work and I get antsy with new toys :)

Great pro tip. Unfortunately I would probably need an actual pro to implement it and have it look good.

Another update. Finally got all the sand removed. Good thing is that I can turn up my pumps without worrying about sand storms but I have to say, I am not a huge fan of barebottom. I am already looking forward to the next build and getting sand back in :)

Part of the reason I removed the sand was because I couldn’t figure out why my nitrates and phosphates were continually so high. The removal of the sand didn’t make a dent in the N and P so I’ve moved on to the next possible culprit which is that I am not getting very good skimmate from my skimmer. Hoping to get it tuned in and running better, especially since I will be running bio pellets soon.

Still can’t grow chaeto. Still can’t grow zoas. I’ve had some corals for two years with nearly no growth and SPS that exhibit incredible growth. So frustrating, but I guess that’s just how the hobby goes sometimes. I guess I’ll just keep tinkering :). Some new pics for now (would love some iPhone pic tips. I have the Aquarium Cam app but still can’t seem to get very good photos).

IMG_1838.jpg
IMG_1817.jpg
IMG_1839.jpg
IMG_1848.jpg
IMG_1866.jpg
IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_1892.jpg
Adjustments.jpg
IMG_1894.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1894.jpg
    IMG_1894.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 178
And finally one of my faves now. Took off when it was a tiny eraser sized frag but has slowed down considerably.
af9f8d151af71442a866bfdd393b1dad.jpg

Back