Kessil

Squist's RSR 250

Your rockwork is insane. Wish I had known about the stacks rocks before my recent build. Where did you get them? The only shop I saw them in was in Anaheim.

Had a week with BAR's Par Meter 2 over the last week. Great device! Thanks BAR for this membership benefit!

I made seven maps at different light intensities, from 50% to 80%, at 5% increments. I'll credit COVID-19's extra tank time and boredom for the inspiration. Here's the 55% mapping which I have been running my light:

Squist RSR 250 Lighting PAR Map — Ecotech Radion XR-30 Pro G4 2020-05-23.png

Good lord that's some serious above and beyond the call of duty mapping of numbers. That said I would have expected higher numbers even at 55% intensity near the bottom. Although the BRS guys do obviously "mislead" by running all channels at 100% when showing off what the fixture can do.

Good lord that's some serious above and beyond the call of duty mapping of numbers. That said I would have expected higher numbers even at 55% intensity near the bottom. Although the BRS guys do obviously "mislead" by running all channels at 100% when showing off what the fixture can do.

BRS actually doesn't run all channels at 100%. They typically push the Coral Labs SPS AB+ profile which is around a 18,500K spectrum.

BRS actually doesn't run all channels at 100%. They typically push the Coral Labs SPS AB+ profile which is around a 18,500K spectrum.

Randy what you think of the AB+ spectrum? Do you recommend it?

I see, the video I looked at was comparing G4 to G5 so maybe they were doing apples to apples with the numbers... even so the video you linked showed 250-350 18" down at 100% with AB+, Now if you double the power you won't double the output, so still find it surprising that those values are relatively "low", maybe the completely empty with clear walls gives significantly more reflectivity from the sides versus that with a black background? *shrug*

Randy what you think of the AB+ spectrum? Do you recommend it?

I have to be honest....ignorance is bliss. If there’s something better out there, I wouldn’t know; I’ve been running the Coral Labs SPS AB+ ever since I got my first Radion four years ago and have since run it on every tank since then. Things seem to grow okay and color has generally been there, so if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. ;)

The only exception is in the last two months, I’ve been playing with spectrum on nem tanks.

FWIW: here's the growth I'm seeing with this set-up through a digitata stylo frag from @Rostato in an early-stage tank (months 9-11).

3 months growth:

3MOS GROWS SQUIST.png

Yeeh boooyy!

Last edited:
Back