Neptune Aquatics

Stupid fluorescent question

Yes it is, sometimes they'll be a little picky if you run a VHO and T5 on the same "side" for lack of a better term, it should do that though as well.

What Jeremy said. Yes, you are supposed to be able to mix and match. I think Matt (Dyngoe) has several different size T5's on the same ballast and I'd think it would work on the same principle. I plan on trying on my son's 430 ballast but it's going to be a little bit before I get the endcaps and try it out.

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=5075.msg62378#msg62378 date=1225819823]
How about 8x 24 T5 on a single 660? Will that work?[/quote]
The 660 and the 430 are both only set up for 4 bulbs so it's not meant to work that way so if there is a way to do it lmk because I'd love to squeeze an extra bulb on my sons tank :)

any combination COULD mean

4x 2ft or 4x 3ft or 4x 4ft or 2 x3ft

etc etc. Direct translation would include 1x4ft + 1x3ft +2x2ft at the same time, but direct translations have been wrong many times.

Be safe and call icecap. What costs more: a simple long distance call and little time, or new bulbs and/or ballast.

If it works on 4 bulbs I don't see why it won't work on 6 or 8 bulbs. Does anyone have extra endcaps? I wanna try and see if I can run the ballast with 6 bulbs.

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=5075.msg62452#msg62452 date=1225831479]
If it works on 4 bulbs I don't see why it won't work on 6 or 8 bulbs. Does anyone have extra endcaps? I wanna try and see if I can run the ballast with 6 bulbs.
[/quote]
While you probably could run bulbs in series, you end up with the issue of one bulb degrading will end up reducing the output of the other bulb in series (similar to solar panels :D)

Cool, I can throw 8 bulbs on my sons 29g :) Don't think they will fit though, bummer. Lmk if it works.

On a side note, I need to extend my wiring for my ballast, what would would you guys suggest? If someone knows the right size wire to ask for lmk but if there is a easy way to get the colors without buying 3 rolls that would be great.

[quote author=xinumaster link=topic=5075.msg62476#msg62476 date=1225840092]
u got extra pair, elite?
[/quote]
yeah .. for T5 ok..

probably 16awg. Maybe even 18. It should say on the current wire insulation.

3 colors..easy. Get an old computer power cord and strip off the black jacket to reveal 3 colors of electron conducting goodness.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=5075.msg62481#msg62481 date=1225841312]
probably 16awg. Maybe even 18. It should say on the current wire insulation.

3 colors..easy. Get an old computer power cord and strip off the black jacket to reveal 3 colors of electron conducting goodness.
[/quote]
Yeah i managed to find it way down the wire. 16 awg but it's solid wire and I don't think I have anything the same size solid laying around....

You could always use stranded wire and go one size less, stranded also is useful in that it's more flexible (although at that size it shouldn't be an issue)

Back