Kessil

Tank sprung a leak

musclebenz

Supporting Member
My 70Gal tank just sprung a leak from the side seam. I bought it used about four years ago. I am dropping the water level to half and using gorilla tape to hopefully hold the seam until I get a replacement. I like the Red Sea but seeing a lot of post about seams leaking too. I would like your input if Red Sea tanks are good or should I look at others brands? Another thing I need to consider is I may need to purchase one from a LFS since I don't know how long the seam will hold.

My 70Gal tank just sprung a leak from the side seam. I bought it used about four years ago. I am dropping the water level to half and using gorilla tape to hopefully hold the seam until I get a replacement. I like the Red Sea but seeing a lot of post about seams leaking too. I would like your input if Red Sea tanks are good or should I look at others brands? Another thing I need to consider is I may need to purchase one from a LFS since I don't know how long the seam will hold.
If you need a holding tank, my Reefer 170 can be setup ASAP. I posted that I just took a decent size chunk out of the corner of the sump, but it's currently holding water. You could also plumb my 170 top into your sump for a bit.

If you need a holding tank, my Reefer 170 can be setup ASAP. I posted that I just took a decent size chunk out of the corner of the sump, but it's currently holding water. You could also plumb my 170 top into your sump for a bit.
Thanks Rich. I am okay for now but thanks for the offer. I

I’ve had two Red Sea tanks that never leaked. With that said, I will never own another Red Sea tank ever again. Just my .02, but I think you’re better looking at other big names. They don’t seem to have the same frequency of seam bursts.

Sorry to hear about the tank. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Well,
I have an N=1. My 260E had a seal that started to separate after 3.5 years. Bought it new. The warranty was only for 3 years. Thankfully I caught it before it leaked.

I don’t know how popular Red Sea is compared to other manufacturers, but I haven’t heard a lot about other tanks failing. After mine failed I found a lot of threads about Red Sea fails.

Red Sea offered to replace the tank for $800 plus $200 shipping. Just didn’t feel like investing any more money in this company after this experience.

This just happened two months ago. Based on this experience I would not recommend Red Sea tanks.
Gerry

Last edited:
Thanks Gerry, I remember your post and that got me thinking if I should invest in a Red Sea tank.
Well,
I have an N=1. My 260E had a seal that started to separate after 3.5 years. Bought it new. The warranty was only for 3 years. Thankfully I caught it before it leaked.

I don’t know how popular Red Sea is compared to other manufacturers, but I haven’t heard a lot about other tanks failing. After mine failed I found a lot of threads about Red Sea fails.

Red Sea offered to replace the tank for $800 plus $200 shipping. Just didn’t fell like investing any more money in this company after this experience.

This just happened two months ago. Based on this experience I would not recommend Red Sea tanks.
Gerry

Thanks Gerry, I remember your post and that got me thinking if I should invest in a Red Sea tank.
During the email exchange when I mentioned I was hesitant to go with another red seas product the customer service agent said the next generation tanks (i think they are second gen) had been redesigned. Better stands, silicone seals, and a few other features. I just couldn’t pull the trigger with them again for that price.

G

Well,

Red Sea offered to replace the tank for $800 plus $200 shipping. Just didn’t fell like investing any more money in this company after this experience.

Gerry
Move on from them

Replacement tank has just arrived. It's perfect timing since next week is a holiday break and plenty of time to setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 88
Back