Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

The "Real" price of salt

G

GreshamH

Guest
Keep those in a low humidity area and completely sealed. It would be a shame to see the brick out on you :(
 
Guest
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
229
Yah that would be a costly brick :( At a minimum they will be sitting on a pallet double tarped. I am going to see if I can pickup a small little rubbermaid shed at home depot if I can fit it behind the filter shed in my back yard. Just not sure if I have the room or not. I am also planning on transferring the open barrel to old salt buckets so I can keep the one I am working on fresh. My only concern with this salt right now is if it is mixed up well or not. It would suck to try and mix a 350 lbs / 1050g barrel of salt up to make sure it mixes up even. I need to do some testing to verify.
 
Guest
Joined
Nov 22, 2005
Messages
2,328
My wife would never allow one of those "buckets" pass the threshold of our property, though I think the kids would love it!

V
 
Supporting Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
761
A few months have passed on this thread, and I'm on my last bag of Instant Ocean. Any updates on people's salt uses and experiences. I was thinking of going either Reef Crystals, Seachem Salinity, Reef Salt, or keep Instant Ocean. Thanks.

(only thing about Salinity is the smell, doesn't really matter to me though) I would like to keep parameters at Alk 9.5-10.5 | Ca 420 | Mg 1350-1400
 
G

GreshamH

Guest
I'm now on my second box of ESV's Salt System and I LOVE IT :) I did a series of water changes, 1 every other day, for a week and my tank is looking good again. It took a real hit with 4-5 months of neglect.
 
Guest
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
9,048
My only complaints with Salinity is that it leaves a precipitate residue in my mixing tank. I'm tempted to try ESV once my current buckets of salinity run out.
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
906
Salinity stinks and leaves crap in the mixing bucket and random debris... but it's what my corals crave.
 
Guest
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
229
I have gone though one 1050g barrel of Salinity so far and so good. The corals are definitely looking better than they did with reef crystals. Cost per gallon it is hard to beat.
 
G

GreshamH

Guest
Gomer said:
My only complaints with Salinity is that it leaves a precipitate residue in my mixing tank. I'm tempted to try ESV once my current buckets of salinity run out.

10 minutes total mix time (for me) and zero left over anything.
 
Guest
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
1,560
I am on my 3rd bucket of Salinity Salt and I like it so far. My Parameters stay pretty stable, the only draw back is the residue in the mixing container, and on my mixing equipment. But a once a month vinegar cleaning and we are all good.
 
Guest
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
9,047
My last two buckets of Salinity have gone into solution much quicker than when I first started using it, the precipitation has been much less prevalent too, I think they are still tweaking it.
 
G

GreshamH

Guest
So Jeremy, how many months now have you been on it? I'll be using both ESV and Salinity for different tanks so I am happy in the dept.
 
Guest
Joined
Feb 2, 2010
Messages
906
chicken said:
I have gone though one 1050g barrel of Salinity so far and so good. The corals are definitely looking better than they did with reef crystals. Cost per gallon it is hard to beat.
esp getting it for $65 a bucket at baymac!
 
Guest
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
9,047
GreshamH said:
So Jeremy, how many months now have you been on it? I'll be using both ESV and Salinity for different tanks so I am happy in the dept.


I got my first bucket almost a year ago (11 months), the last batch Doug got I noticed a big difference. I'd like to try ESV, I just haven't seen it around.
 
G

GreshamH

Guest
No local wholesalers for it. Bayside has it, but shipping from socal will add to the cost. Some are trying to get Pan to bring it in since they sell the rest of the ESV line. Steve Ruddy @ Coral Reef Ecosystems sells it retail, as does MD.
 
Guest
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
9,047
Steve needs to move down here from Jabip so I can buy some :D
 
G

GreshamH

Guest
I agree. I only go through his neck of the woods when I go ab diving.

If you are truly interested in ESV, lets talk via email.
 
Guest
Joined
Jun 15, 2008
Messages
2,408
Another thing about Salinity... the stuff really heats up when it hits water. I'm guessing maybe it contains anhydrous calcium chloride or something? That can be good if the water you're mixing it into is cold and you want to raise it's temperature. It can be not so good if you get it on your wet hands.

I haven't ever noticed this with any other salt mixes.
 
Top