got ethical husbandry?

These nems thu!

Are they wild or aquacultured? I wouldn’t trust a wild nem at $1500 without it being tanked for at least 6 months. BTAs can shift color like crazy. I’ve had a number of crazy looking wilds nems that after a month or two just turned out to look like regular rainbows BTAs.

Last edited:
I do not know, just saw the post on fb. But yes I agree, nems change with water chemistry and flow. I remember I would never have a nem bubble in my old system even thu when I got it it was bubbled and had beautiful colors.

@ofzakaria These should be wild. Likely from Australia judging by the yellow nem with pink... The orange one is likely a yellow tipped orange nem as well. Not in the same extreme price ranges though.

My guess in real-life the colors aren't as prominent (likely taken with orange filter).

The challenge with wilds though is that they if a change the don't make the transition to tank life well.... As careful and experienced as I think I am with nems, my success with wilds have bee less than 50%. Coloration wise, they all perked up in the best way in captivity but the real problem is when something change in chemistry or microbiology (or aggressive pods , ugh) that pushes the nem over the edge.

If you had a dedicated tank for a single nem and no other corals or fish, I would choose the one nem you want to foster and roll the dice... That said, it's very much risk vs rewards type of thing...

Take the original CSB or the DPV for example... gotta start somewhere. :)

That said -- you should definitely get into nems! :)

@ofzakaria These should be wild. Likely from Australia judging by the yellow nem with pink... The orange one is likely a yellow tipped orange nem as well. Not in the same extreme price ranges though.

My guess in real-life the colors aren't as prominent (likely taken with orange filter).

The challenge with wilds though is that they if a change the don't make the transition to tank life well.... As careful and experienced as I think I am with nems, my success with wilds have bee less than 50%. Coloration wise, they all perked up in the best way in captivity but the real problem is when something change in chemistry or microbiology (or aggressive pods , ugh) that pushes the nem over the edge.

If you had a dedicated tank for a single nem and no other corals or fish, I would choose the one nem you want to foster and roll the dice... That said, it's very much risk vs rewards type of thing...

Take the original CSB or the DPV for example... gotta start somewhere. :)

That said -- you should definitely get into nems! :)
Man if I do I have to get a dedicated system. No freaking way I can out a nem in my sps system...suicide!!

This is the time of year that we start seeing a lot of gorgeous bright wild Nems coming in. I don't know enough about the collection process or supply chain to know why there's an influx this time of year. The problem is most of them don't do well in our tanks. Nems can be fickle under the best of circumstances, but tank-raised BTA's are much, MUCH easier to keep. Wild Nems are sensitive to every change. If anyone wants to try one of these I'll be happy to let you know my experiences with them. In any case, I would always recommend that you QT all wild Nems in a very stable QT tank that's been running for quite a while. Make sure you have Cipro on hand before the Nem comes in -- you may need it quickly.

Oh -- and don't be surprised if it doesn't hold its color.

Last edited:
This is the time of year that we start seeing a lot of gorgeous bright wild Nems coming in. I don't know enough about the collection process or supply chain to know why there's an influx this time of year. The problem is most of them don't do well in our tanks. Nems can be fickle under the best of circumstances, but tank-raised BTA's are much, MUCH easier to keep. Wild Nems are sensitive to every change. If anyone wants to try one of these I'll be happy to let you know my experiences with them. In any case, I would always recommend that you QT all wild Nems in a very stable QT tank that's been running for quite a while. Make sure you have Cipro on hand before the Nem comes in -- you may need it quickly.

Oh -- and don't be surprised if it doesn't hold its color.
I wonder if wild collection nems are so sensitive how do they survive collection, sorting and shipping. Before theyvrrach the LFS tank thwy must been through multiple tanks and packing unpacking...

I wonder if wild collection nems are so sensitive how do they survive collection, sorting and shipping. Before theyvrrach the LFS tank thwy must been through multiple tanks and packing unpacking...

Ever notice how long it takes Nems to die normally? They can seemingly be doing well for months and then they begin to move, shrink, etc. It can then take months for them to completely die as they reabsorb their own energy by "eating" their own tentacles, etc. I think that's why. Another is that many of them come in with bacterial diseases. As soon as they are stressed those diseases get an edge and slowly weaken them. That's why some treat prophetically with Cipro with some success.

Here you go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200603-214112_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200603-214112_Samsung Internet.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 181
Back