Our mission

Thoughts? Swimming pool --> Aquarium?

Thoughts? I think it's just a couple of youtube (insert not so nice terms here) vloggers who filled a pool with salt water, got it running well enough to throw fish in with some artificial decorations long enough to get their video before emptying it and hopefully returning the fish to good homes.

Gee I wonder why our hobby has a bad name?

It’s hard to argue that the trade shouldn’t be more regulated when you see videos like this, made possible by those 2 irresponsible SoCal companies.

I haven’t watched. I won’t. I think a pool tank could. Be done well. Unfortunate this seems to not be the case here.
Glad to be among like minded folk that understand there are practices closer to “right” and many other practices that are less “right” in our hobby.
Fish tank is probably the only way I’d want a pool.

Thoughts? I think it's just a couple of youtube (insert not so nice terms here) vloggers who filled a pool with salt water, got it running well enough to throw fish in with some artificial decorations long enough to get their video before emptying it and hopefully returning the fish to good homes.
We can hope.

Hmm. I see where it is a risky publicity stunt with some idiot teenagers and it does not send a great message.
I would rather it did not happen.
But compared to the really bad practices in the industry, I am not sure this warrants major outrage.

It was properly mixed salt water, not chlorinated fresh water.
The fish were shown being acclimated in the video.
Seems like about 200 fish in a 10,000 gallon pool. That is the same ratio as 1 fish in a 50 gallon tank.

To me it is not so much worse than the "hands on" kid area at Monterey aquarium.

Hmm. I see where it is a risky publicity stunt with some idiot teenagers and it does not send a great message.
I would rather it did not happen.
But compared to the really bad practices in the industry, I am not sure this warrants major outrage.

It was properly mixed salt water, not chlorinated fresh water.
The fish were shown being acclimated in the video.
Seems like about 200 fish in a 10,000 gallon pool. That is the same ratio as 1 fish in a 50 gallon tank.

To me it is not so much worse than the "hands on" kid area at Monterey aquarium.

16,000 gallon pool filled with NSW, plenty of room for the bio-load, for a stunt and knowing it'll get broken down. Temp in Socal is fine for this, I have several friends with outdoor coral farms in Socal.

The one issue I see is the sharks and rays and the surface of the pool. Those do not go together for much time, the rays and sharks will succumb to wounds from it.

There's far worse things to get worked up about in the aquarium hobby trade. I'd rather see people with there hands collectively in the air regarding habitat loss from destructive fishing practices.

16,000 gallon pool filled with NSW, plenty of room for the bio-load, for a stunt and knowing it'll get broken down. Temp in Socal is fine for this, I have several friends with outdoor coral farms in Socal.

The one issue I see is the sharks and rays and the surface of the pool. Those do not go together for much time, the rays and sharks will succumb to wounds from it.

There's far worse things to get worked up about in the aquarium hobby trade. I'd rather see people with there hands collectively in the air regarding habitat loss from destructive fishing practices.
But that’s not the point of this thread, we are talking about how we feel about this particular video, the motivation to make it, the way it makes our hobby look terrible when we already have an image problem, and the fact that professionals in our business made it happen.

It is fine to be unhappy about one thing and still be outraged about other things when they come up. Dumping 1000 gallons of oil into the ocean does not make throwing trash off your boat into the ocean ok, even though they are way different in magnitude. It is a false dichotomy and a distraction to say you shouldn’t be upset about a minor thing because there are major things to be upset about. You can be annoyed by the minor thing when you hear about it, and outraged by the major thing when you hear about that.

But that’s not the point of this thread, we are talking about how we feel about this particular video, the motivation to make it, the way it makes our hobby look terrible when we already have an image problem, and the fact that professionals in our business made it happen.

It is fine to be unhappy about one thing and still be outraged about other things when they come up. Dumping 1000 gallons of oil into the ocean does not make throwing trash off your boat into the ocean ok, even though they are way different in magnitude. It is a false dichotomy and a distraction to say you shouldn’t be upset about a minor thing because there are major things to be upset about. You can be annoyed by the minor thing when you hear about it, and outraged by the major thing when you hear about that.
(I am not speaking for Baymac)

I see comparing your outrage to other problems like destructive fishing practices as a good way to show the level of anger.
So it is to the point in a way.

A huge problem with "Political Correctness" is that it is really hard to tell online between someone slightly annoyed and someone horribly outraged.
And then others pile on with short replies, which compounds and confuses it also.
Some minor complaint thing can explode into a hate-fest.
This thread seems to be headed in that type of direction.

Me being specific: I see it as not great, prefer it not to happen, but it is also kind of fun an amusing, so I am hardly mad or upset.

Yeah, so my point wasn't that I was against trying to turn pools into salt water tanks (whether reef or FO) I mean hell I used to see at least one of those a month of ReefCentral back in the day and sure it does sound like a cool idea, aquarium you can swim in! There's one guy Ohio Fish Rescue (I think) on youtube, who turned an indoor pool into a massive "pond" (but it's freshwater) and that was super fun to watch and see how it got built, but much like his channel name he's all about keeping fish (yeah I'd say he has a problem :D). If these two guys were reefers or into the hobby and they did it I probably wouldn't have cared too much even with this level of building, would I nitpick? absolutely, but invent bad names for them? Nah. However it seems that these guys are simply that type of "content creators" who do some different stunt for each video, so throwing all these fish into a pool just to make a video seems a bit tacky to me, now if the pool was still up some years later because they honestly wanted a big honkin' salt water aquarium and they actually successfully kept the fish alive then I also probably wouldn't have minded that too much.

Back