Cali Kid Corals

Tom's upcoming Waterbox Marine 90.3 Mixed reef

Almost there….
1723112156266.png

Last edited:
Today I added the DOS QD to dose 75ml/day of All-For-Reef. Tested parameters and things look good. The first few corals have been doing well and all the new fish and inverts have been alive and eating well. I blend my own mix of fresh seafood with phyto feast. I plan to start feeding reef nutrition tdo.
IMG_2852.jpeg

I’m aiming for ~12dkh. I made some over corrections while working on the ph and calcium levels using baking soda and kalkwasser. I did a 20% water change which hopefully levels everything back out. I’m setting up an automatic five gallon a week water change with the DOS from here on out using Nyla Pure salt.

Last edited:
Good luck! Those are some expensive test subjects lol

15.8 is pretty high, and honestly I think 12 is excessive for the average person and it comes with other possible problems too. The best coral growers I know don’t have high alk, they have old tanks.

I see a very fat micromussa colony, very cool :)

One warning, all swings IME and based on what I've heard are correlated with torches and LPS expelling heads. I'm not sure what to do about that, especially when the spike already happened, but something to keep an eye on and maybe research online.

DOH! Okay, very small water changes then. We'll get things back in spec slowly. I do not want to see naked torches swimming around.

DOH! Okay, very small water changes then. We'll get things back in spec slowly. I do not want to see naked torches swimming around.
Not to thrash you, but I didn't necessarily mean don't drop it. I'd research if anyone knows if it's better to quick go back down after it happened.

If however it's been awhile, I'd not crazy fast change anything.

75ml/day of AFR is a massive dose for a tank this size with very little coral. It takes a few days for AFR to process and actually reflect as alk - so be careful there.
Agreed, this coral load likely can be maintained with just water changes for now. Don't do dosing until you get a handle on what the tank is actually using.

gotcha. I unhooked the AFR for now since I was running the DOS for the water changes. A new Hydro doser is on the way for the AFR which will wait until it's needed. Right now, I'm focused on stabilizing the pH, alk, and calcium levels with small but regular water changes. I wonder if it's the AragAlive sand and Liferock that's keeping the numbers elevated. No more kalkwasser ato or baking soda either. We'll see in a week

Back