Kessil

Tunze ATO 3155 Pump On While No Water In Reservoir

ATO pump will keep running despite ATO reservoir has no water.

Adujusted the pump to perfectly vertical position, still keep running.

How do I root cause which part failed?

Thanks guys!

Is the optical sensor (pointy part) clean and shiny? If not, it might need soaking it citric acid or vinegar. Same for the floating sensor part if it has calcium or other buildup.
Do the wires at the little black controller box look corroded?
Are you saying the pump continues running infinitely when the reservoir is dry? IIRC it is supposed to continue for 10 min when dry, then stop

The Tunze ATO does not shut off just because there is no water in the ATO container, so doesn’t sound broken to me.

It is controlled by the sensors that go in your sump/tank. It also has an auto shutoff if it runs continuously for a long time to protect against fail-on scenarios.

When you refill the dry reservoir, be sure to turn the pump upside down, shake and tap it a bit under water to get out air bubbles. Test it, too, by removing some sump water to be sure it refills properly. I don't know what everybody else does, but to quickly prime it I suck water thru the tubing at the sump.

When you refill the dry reservoir, be sure to turn the pump upside down, shake and tap it a bit under water to get out air bubbles. Test it, too, by removing some sump water to be sure it refills properly. I don't know what everybody else does, but to quickly prime it I suck water thru the tubing at the sump.
The other way to prime it easily is to just lift it up and down by the tubing a few inches when it turns on after refilling the container. Like you would do to prime a water change siphon. You will hear an obvious change in sound the pump makes when it is primed after a second or 2.

The Tunze ATO does not shut off just because there is no water in the ATO container, so doesn’t sound broken to me.

It is controlled by the sensors that go in your sump/tank. It also has an auto shutoff if it runs continuously for a long time to protect against fail-on scenarios.
That auto-shutoff also doubles as a fail safe for an empty reservoir as it figures if after XX minutes (5??) and it still hasn't triggered the sensor something is wrong and shuts down the whole thing until the problem is addressed. But yeah it doesn't have anyway to know why the thing hasn't shut off.

Back