Reef nutrition

Welcome to Gran Playa Del Mar

QT was unsuccessful. Currently dealing with some type of fin fungus and ich breakout.

The blonde naso succumbed to ich, but that fish wouldn’t eat the last couple months in copper so it was pretty weak.

The achillies has a breakout of ich.

The rabbit fish have some type of fungus on their fins that developed after QT.

I haven’t determined next steps yet.

55 watt UV is running at about 300 gph, but doesn’t appear to of had any noticeable effect. It is not ideally located either, may try moving it.

TBD.

Last edited:
I’ve been dropping salinity to take care of a pretty sizable Ich outbreak. Currently sitting at 1.009 and dosing hydrogen peroxide. So naturally this early on has me concerned about the nitrifying bacteria population and not even including the microbiome from the live rock in the sump must be in the toilet. I’m sure that will set this tank back quite a bit in settling down.

The acanthurus tangs definitely have it the worst with the next being one of the hippo tangs. Followed by both the squirrel fish.

I hope to see some improvement by Christmas, otherwise I may just restart this tank.

I’m leaving as much algae on the glass to assist with soaking up nutrient because I am very heavily feeding this tank to keep all the fish strong. Currently going through 4x 6inch by 8in sheets of nori followed with multiple frozen food feedings. Mysis, brine, mega marine, rods food, spiralina, and eggs.

The achillies in particular I would estimate has grown in weight by 5%-10% in the last two weeks spite a pretty bad ich outbreak.

Another interesting thing is the ugly stage is surprisingly green. Of all the tanks I have cycled, the brown diatoms have largely been subdued and the green turf looking algae has taken hold in a lot of spots.

I’ll attach pictures of the outbreak, algae, and tank.
B58D01C6-4931-49EF-8970-C4FECEF6382C.png
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hypo and hydrogen peroxide dosing is going well, but staying cautious and monitoring ammonia daily.

All active outbreaks are looking the best they have looked in a few weeks.

The Achilles specifically over the last four days is showing a reduction in spots by 90%. All other acanthurus tangs were showing similar improvement as well.

Before and after pictures.

2084A24D-1035-43DE-AEED-EAFD4C18FFCD.png
B1055576-8950-448D-90DE-06F8F6806FE0.png
6C5DB2B9-B0EC-40C5-9147-89FA09030F44.png

Today marked a large loss in QT. Almost 50% perished last night. It’s been a crappy 24 hours and I feel terrible these fish did not make it through QT

The fish that are alive:
1 achillies
2 rabbitfish
2 chromies
3 clownfish
1 neon dotty back
1 lavender tang
1 hippo tang
1 dwarf angel
1 mela wrasse

EB857D4C-8F13-4C23-9D42-E121F865FA7F.jpeg
C52DF201-1359-472B-A2BB-45DC4F569E63.jpeg
A43BAC53-B917-4DC8-A7AB-BBFEB9748FCA.jpeg

I’m dosing H2O2 in high amounts as a preventative. My QT experience has been abysmal for the last 4 months. Probably doing more harm than good, but if you see my thread over on humble fish it’s a terribly long list of disappointment.

With that said, I might throw some Xenia in the sump for nutrient export.

Last edited:
I’m interested. What’s your user name there? Sorry to hear about your false start. How is hydrogen peroxide working? Clearly not great. Looks like you are empty or fallow now. Hope you have survivors elsewhere.

Last edited:
I’m interested. What’s your user name there? Sorry to hear about your false start. How is hydrogen peroxide working? Clearly not great. Looks like you are empty or fallow now. Hope you have survivors elsewhere.

I didn’t have any success running the display with hyposalinity, H2O2, and metronidazole. Shortly after being salinity back to full strength over a month Uronema popped up with a vengeance.

Wiped out my anthias and chromies initially. I broke down the tank and began copper and antibacterial treatments for Uronema of cipro and metro. Multiple failed attempts later I finally started TTM as a last resort. It ended up just being to many fish at the same time for me to truest do effectively, even after I lost half of them.

Everyone is back in the tank and I’m doing h2o2 in a last ditch effort to hopefully wipe out a lower parasite load before it begins.

I didn’t have any success running the display with hyposalinity, H2O2, and metronidazole. Shortly after being salinity back to full strength over a month Uronema popped up with a vengeance.

Wiped out my anthias and chromies initially. I broke down the tank and began copper and antibacterial treatments for Uronema of cipro and metro. Multiple failed attempts later I finally started TTM as a last resort. It ended up just being to many fish at the same time for me to truest do effectively, even after I lost half of them.

Everyone is back in the tank and I’m doing h2o2 in a last ditch effort to hopefully wipe out a lower parasite load before it begins.
Very sad. So sorry to hear that. Had some wonderful high risk fish all QT together. Was pretty aggressive to QT all those guys together assuming you don't have a lab setup in the Garage with tanks all over. Any take away lessons besides slower and more careful stocking next time? Did you have a tank already going before the big tank with existing fish that you added to new fish too? Mostly concerned that you are treating the fish in the DT and will never be able to fallow that tank to 100% clear especially Uromema, Im not sure how you can ever get that out 100% but not up to date on its treatment. Is there an effective protocol for treating that yet? We need to get you 100% reset even if all the fish are a loss, that tank needs to be Epic for you so you can get past this hell.

Really hoping you can get through this and get that Dream Tank running. Going to be tough since you are planning for a big tank with a lot of disease sensitive fish and you have disease in all the tanks right now. Let me know if I can help so you can break the chain. I have some free garage space far away from my tanks that I can set something up to fallow for you and take some load off what you are dealing with. You can check on it when ever as you are pretty close to me. Garage is unconditioned, so probably not best for treating sick fish due to temp swings until it gets a bit warmer, but I can certainly try that too. Would need to get more dedicated equipment as most of my things are in use already but I think some people on here can scrap some stuff together and CL normally has stuff available that works for QT. Been at least 2 free 20 gallon tanks posted on here recently. I have some bins that can hold rock etc for a few months, etc. or just some space to bleach equipment and let sun bake. Not sure how many options you have at your new home as some areas of Foster City are not cool with clutter, but I have some space to lend if you need it.

Back