Neptune Aquatics

What did you get at the CFM?

I seem to recall that yeah the whole selling frags bit might be a "conflict of interest" with Tyree, Especially if we're offering frags at "cheaper than normal" prices (and I'll leave that up to individual interpretation), then those trying to maximize profit from the event (vendors) may feel slighted if there's this booth that's selling cheaper stuff (us). Remember while most vendors are trying to hit the "homerun" with higher priced corals, YourReef is usually there and he typically has "lower end" corals.

Just a thought, has BAR ever sold frags at CFM? Since most people from out of the area come to CFM to buy frags it would be a good way to attract them to the booth and educate them about our Mission statement and have them buy raffle tickets. Maybe local members and sponsors can donate frags to be sold, sell a frag from DBTC, or sell the frags from the grow out contest. We have so many generous reefers donating frags during our annual frag swaps anyways so why not use CFM as an opportunity to raise more funds?

We are not a vendor and are not allowed to sell Corals/Frags at the event. We get our booth for free or more like our volunteer work for setup and clean up. We could sell if the club wanted to buy a Vendor booth.

Cons to BAR selling corals:

- bad form (we are getting a free booth, club should not compete with vendors)
- BAR is supposed to be about sharing info not selling corals
- confused message (is BAR a vendor or club?)
-High overhead to setup frag tanks (compared with raffles/t-shirts)
-coordination (the frag tank/light storage... I believe the club already lost some Kessil lamps) getting everyone storing the stuff to show up at set up the night before (difficult on a work night)
- bad product: a) mixing frags from different members tanks with different parameters in one tank (shock corals) b) mixing all the pests from different members tanks in one frag tank (it is not good form in general for selling corals to not be able to guarantee pest free corals)

If we want to sell corals, an interesting spot would be our frag swap.
Partly just to make money.
But also largely to encourage more new people to just show up and check it out.
"If you have nothing to swap yet, that is ok, just show up and buy a few things so you will next year."

Cons to BAR selling corals:

- bad form (we are getting a free booth, club should not compete with vendors)
- BAR is supposed to be about sharing info not selling corals
- confused message (is BAR a vendor or club?)
-High overhead to setup frag tanks (compared with raffles/t-shirts)
-coordination (the frag tank/light storage... I believe the club already lost some Kessil lamps) getting everyone storing the stuff to show up at set up the night before (difficult on a work night)
- bad product: a) mixing frags from different members tanks with different parameters in one tank (shock corals) b) mixing all the pests from different members tanks in one frag tank (it is not good form in general for selling corals to not be able to guarantee pest free corals)
My biggest concern on selling is the fact that we cannot vet where coral is going and might give live stock to die.
I was actually not comfortable with us raffling the clown pair to tell you the truth...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"If you have nothing to swap yet, that is ok, just show up and buy a few things so you will next year."

We do that already. Members donate frags/fish for an auction at the end of the swap.

I love this idea. I think I actually asked about this a few years ago and was turned down. I was just starting my tank and wanted to be a part of the event, but didn’t have anything I could frag.

Back