Reef nutrition

What micron size carbon block and filter do you use for RODI?

glee

My carbon blocks are turning brown and need to replace them. My filter block is 10 microns, but I do not remember what size I use for the carbon block.

I usually use the 5 micron.

Do you have a sediment filter?
You should not get brown on carbon blocks if you do.
And if you are worried about sediment, a 1 micron sediment filter fixes that and is far cheaper than carbon.

My sediment filter is 10 microns. It's the white floss type. For the canisters, I've been running (1) 10 micro sediment, (2) carbon blocks. If the sediment is 10 microns, should the carbon be the same, less, or doesn't matter?

Unless I'm an idiot, 1 micron is much smaller than your 10 micron filter. Seems like your issue is that too much stuff is getting through your sediment filter. I rarely see anything at all in my carbon filter (although granted I'm using about 10% of the water that you "big tank guys" are)

These are the sediment filters I use (1 micron) and well worth the $7:

Last edited:
Opinion:
Sediment should focus on filtration.
Carbon should focus on chemical. Especially chloramine.
As such, your carbon should be the same or larger than sediment.

FYI: I usually run 1 micron sediment, dual 5 micron carbon, 75 GPD RO, triple DI (A/C/Mixed)
Big tank, auto-water-exchange, so lots of water. Plus I tend to over-do things.

I have run 10/10 in the past though, and did not see brown on my carbon, so I really suspect something is wrong.
When you take out sediment filter, look at the ends. Do you see nice indented rings? Or is it mashed, no ring, or offset.
Could simply be a bad filter. Budget brands can be hit and miss.

Did I wait too long to replace my sediment filter? I tore open the plastic mesh holding the fabric on the carbon block to look at it closer. That fabric has some grey areas where it is not brown from sediment. I haven't been keeping up with my fish responsibilities....

IMG_2104.jpg

Peculiar.
The sediment filter looks spotless on the inside, and not horribly brown on outside, so should be fine.
That cloth looks very coarse.
I don't understand why the carbon filter is so brown.

Is carbon block exposed to light? Could actually be diatoms or algae.

Another guess would be the filters are not what you think they are.
Perhaps > 10 micron sediment, perhaps 1 micron carbon.

I don't do all this, but I agree with this statement on when to change:
  • Sediment: pressure drops 5%
  • Carbon: chloramines/chlorine is detected in waste water
  • RO: rejection rate falls +2%
  • DI: TDS detectable
Nothing to do with color.

I pretty sure the sediment filters are 10 micron because they new sediment filters I have in storage are 10 micron. I do not have any new carbon blocks so I can't confirm the old size. I swapped both out so now I have (2) 10 micron filter and (1) carbon block which is not brown (it is in the last stage). I have a couple more 10 micron sediments and will use them up. I'll order the one micro sediment and five micron carbons next.

I don't understand why the carbon filter is so brown.
Probably because he used 10 micron filter, a lot more passes through those than say 5 or 1 micron filters.

I use brs universal ones..they are supposed rated for chloramine..
Yeah this, they're actually supposedly good for chloramines compared to your "generic" Matrixx type of carbon filters. They did experiments on it, and unless they absolutely fabricated all the results I'm more inclined to spend $17 on a filter that I know will keep chlorimines out longer, than $4-8 for a cheapy on Amazon that absolutely won't do much for chloramines and let it pass through your RO membrane, damaging that prematurely, and exhausting your DI resin that much quicker.

Did I wait too long to replace my sediment filter? I tore open the plastic mesh holding the fabric on the carbon block to look at it closer. That fabric has some grey areas where it is not brown from sediment. I haven't been keeping up with my fish responsibilities....

View attachment 13957
My filters look like this toward the tail end if ita life. I would not worry.
I usually change the carbon block filter 2 times before I change the di resins. Which prolonged the di resin life in my rodi

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back