Kessil

Will this support a 140 gallon display tank?

That thing looks great until there is an earthquake, then I worry. Even with those gussets in the drawing, the lack of sheer supports look like a problem.
140G tank = 1200 pounds.
Even a moderate earthquake can generate 0.2G horizontal acceleration.
That means 240 pounds of side force. Not gigantic, but with no real sheer supports, a problem.
You can test it.
Put the back legs against the fireplace.
Have two strong people push horizontally against the top rail. Does it bend?

As it stands,yes. But it’s missing the gusset. We over killed it with gussets. It didn’t ship for some odd reasons. Gusset will sheer it up. There will also be wood dividers inside the cabinet. The divider is going to divide the storage from sump.I will also have divider to hold the electronics.

I got my design back from Teco, the local 8020 supplier in Pleasanton, and they beefed me up to 3”x1.5” extrusion for that reason. He said my design would work to hold the weight but it is borderline so it’s safer to have the larger extrusion. The nice part of these pieces is they are so modular and customizable that if it doesn’t seem strong enough it’s always possible to add support. And I am working on a plan to attach a light above it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the 8020.net site has some information regarding to the strength of the various fastening methods, and IIRC those anchor fasteners are stronger than plates even. I forget the actual values they give though.

Max, how big is your tank? 3x1.5 is sounds more like super overkill than borderline. you're almost at the physical size of a 2x4 at that point. And yes they are modular, however note that they're only modular for the same series, i.e. you can't use 10 series with 15 series unless you're super clever, also you'll want the "drop in" or the quarter twist fasteners unless you're willing to disassemble and put the slide ins (which are cheaper too :D)

The tank is 30”x30”x24” with 1/2” starfire glass so with rock, water, etc I’m using 1000lbs as my guide. It ended up being marginally more expensive than my Tnutz cart of parts so I’m okay with going overkill if it means I won’t see my tank wobble in an earthquake and I can support a local business in this crazy time.

I know myself and could see myself upgrading again so I would probably just contact Teco again and have them find the parts I need to grow the stand. This is my second tank upgrade since setting up my 10 gal this past fall. Maybe a 90”x30”x24” at some point?

Mine is very close to 90”x30”x24”.
I do really like it, but two issues:
With the long length, it looks a bit unnaturally close front-to-back.
Getting the flow right is a real pain.

Just don't do it like a peninsula and you can do front to back flow no problem.... well unless you're a dumbass like me who puts on black PVC sheets to make the back black and then realize Vortech pumps won't hold onto that like they do with glass... and the background isn't black after all the coraline algae builds up!

Why7.5 feet and not 8 full?
My “dream” tank is 96x30x30 external overflow.
Well if we're talking dreams... I'm kind of a fan of that freshwater stingray tank they have at the Cal Academy that you see when you leave the rain forest exhibit, just instead of freshwater make it a reef. I'm sure a pain in the ass to clean the bottom, and aquascape etc, but at some point you gotta just say screw it, I put that frag down there it better grow! Just so deep and deep. A couple beanbag chairs on the ground, or a low couch, and BAM! my dream is done. Although it probably has a gigantic volume, maybe in the 1000 gallon range. But I'd totally jump into it to clean it if necessary :D

That means 240 pounds of side force. Not gigantic, but with no real sheer supports, a problem.

Here's the fastener load tests. As you can see, each leg can handle 540 lbs(correction, it's 700 inch-lbs! I got the standard size) of cantilevered force. And then you add the gusset and it's an additional 500lbs. I see other company's who use these stands and they don't even add the gussets. I am sure it will hold just fine.

The problem is not really sheer at this point. It's weather it will TIP over. Since I am going to put it against the wall, I am going to strap it down.

I didn't realize I can double faster it, I would've done that if I knew that was an option but this is my first run with this stuff.

gusset.png

That thing looks great until there is an earthquake, then I worry. ...
Even a moderate earthquake can generate 0.2G horizontal acceleration.
That means 240 pounds of side force. ...

I’m seeing hardwood flooring in the photo. Might the force of a quake break the coefficient of friction between the stand’s feet and floor allowing the tank to drift and slide? I wonder. Although I no longer do this for fear of ”what-if”, I have moved my tank around — up to a foot — by sliding it on the flooring.

Here's the fastener load tests. As you can see, each leg can handle 540 lbs(correction, it's 700 inch-lbs! I got the standard size) of cantilevered force. And then you add the gusset and it's an additional 500lbs. I see other company's who use these stands and they don't even add the gussets. I am sure it will hold just fine.

The problem is not really sheer at this point. It's weather it will TIP over. Since I am going to put it against the wall, I am going to strap it down.

I didn't realize I can double faster it, I would've done that if I knew that was an option but this is my first run with this stuff.

View attachment 14761
For sheer, you want the cantileavered force B. Torsional is twist on the extrusion.
Think about how it folds over sideways.
Your stand seems to be about 3' high, so divide that by 3.
But you have 6 legs, so multiply by 6.
625 / 3 * 6 = 1250, which looks great. It can handle 1G, which is a really big quake.
(Assuming you include plate and gusset as per note)

I’m seeing hardwood flooring in the photo. Might the force of a quake break the coefficient of friction between the stand’s feet and floor allowing the tank to drift and slide? I wonder. Although I no longer do this for fear of ”what-if”, I have moved my tank around — up to a foot — by sliding it on the flooring.
There are all sorts of stories about tanks moving around in a quake. Sliding, but also "walking" as they bend and twist.
It might be a good thing, as it reduces force on the tank.

For sheer, you want the cantileavered force B. Torsional is twist on the extrusion.
Think about how it folds over sideways.
Your stand seems to be about 3' high, so divide that by 3.
But you have 6 legs, so multiply by 6.
625 / 3 * 6 = 1250, which looks great. It can handle 1G, which is a really big quake.
(Assuming you include plate and gusset as per note)

Oops. I circled the wrong one, meant to point out cantilevered. I got standard too.

So it’s 1000 inch-lbs just for single anchor. Does the gusset add to that equation? (1000+500)/3*6? Looks to be overkill which is good!

Oops. I circled the wrong one, meant to point out cantilevered. I got standard too.

So it’s 1000 inch-lbs just for single anchor. Does the gusset add to that equation? (1000+500)/3*6? Looks to be overkill which is good!

It is a bit unclear if it is additive, but I think it is.
But if B is in inch-pounds, you may have a problem.

Assuming 3 foot high, that is 36", so it is:
(625 single anchor + 750 corner gusset) / 36 leverage * 6 legs = 229
Which is on the edge for a normal earthquake.

Note that a couple of sheets of plywood as sheer supports make that a total non issue, which you mentioned might be there.

1000(standard size) + 750/ 35" legs * 6 legs = 300lbs + 1 or two plywood. This doesn't factor in the lower gussets and anchors either. I don't think it's going to collapse but I think it can tip over.

What’s your plan for the top of the stand? So far I think I’m going to get 3/4” plywood and poly / stain it to seal it then 1/2” soft foam, although the soft foam might be unnecessary since the bottom of my tank is acrylic.

Back