Cali Kid Corals

Wrasse Choice for a 40 Breeder / Where to buy a pink streaked wrasse?

He I just had a super tiny yellow watchmen goby pop out to say hi, after not seeing it for a couple months, lol, thought he was a goner! Fish had sometimes for long periods of time. If that fish didn’t come from me then I’d probably guess it died, but being that it came from me, if it didn’t get killed by something then it is still in there. Should just let your tank be and let it get comfortable or it will never come out. Moving a bunch of rock work to find an extremely small and delicate fish I dangerous for the fish, getting smashed and what not. Yes fish love hiding places, especially when entering a new environment, but all the pink streaks I had were just fine with some pvc tubes. I just sold the last one, he was in a tank with a royal gramma, scopas tang, diamond goby and a pair of pintail wrasses. Pink streak loved his little 1/2 inch tube when it felt the need to hide. All the pink streaks had great personality and really active. Hopefully you don’t crush it. Good luck with your new one you’re getting. Make sure to Qt it, or long observation.
I would have much rather gone through your excellent store and QT system! This one is free, hence getting it from somewhere else. Thanks for the tips Kenny!

I would have much rather gone through your excellent store and QT system! This one is free, hence getting it from somewhere else. Thanks for the tips Kenny!
Important to remember that free to you isn’t the same as free. Still a fish being pulled from the ocean, and a bag of water being flown across the world.
It’s important to care about who is collecting (how,where, what, and why), packing and shipping, wholesaling, and retailing these animals.
The price we pay for the as end consumers is really important to us, but all the other things matter to the world as a whole.
Not trying to get too preachy, and definitely not trying to scold anyone. Just sharing the thoughts I had in the moment and hoping to educate people a little and stimulate some thought and conversation about our supply chain in this hobby

Important to remember that free to you isn’t the same as free. Still a fish being pulled from the ocean, and a bag of water being flown across the world.
It’s important to care about who is collecting (how,where, what, and why), packing and shipping, wholesaling, and retailing these animals.
The price we pay for the as end consumers is really important to us, but all the other things matter to the world as a whole.
Not trying to get too preachy, and definitely not trying to scold anyone. Just sharing the thoughts I had in the moment and hoping to educate people a little and stimulate some thought and conversation about our supply chain in this hobby
I wasn’t very verbose so I said “free”. I traded IT services for ample store credit and also cashed in goodwill to get him near cost. I fully support BARs mission of ethical husbandry and I try to live by it.

I have 2 clowns, royal gramma, exquisite fire fish, geometric perchlet, and bicolor blenny. They’re all fat and healthy. They have been that way the entire time in my tank. My perchlet only pecks at brine shrimp and mainly eats pods. I feel like I’ve got somewhat of a handle on keeping fish fat and healthy.
Is the pink streaked wrasse really this delicate? I accept blame for the QTd one when I had less rock but what did I do wrongly for this one? In its condition I doubt it would have survived QT but who knows.
I just want to learn so I can improve and stop have this happening. Lighting cash on fire is less sad than this.

Last edited:
I have 2 clowns, royal gramma, exquisite fire fish, geometric perchlet, and bicolor blenny. They’re all fat and healthy. They have been that way the entire time in my tank. My perchlet only pecks at brine shrimp and mainly eats pods. I feel like I’ve got somewhat of a handle on keeping fish fat and healthy.
Is the pink streaked wrasse really this delicate? I accept blame for the QTd ones when I had less rock but what did I do wrongly for this one? In its condition I doubt it would have survived QT but who knows.
I just want to learn so I can improve and stop have this happening. Lighting cash on fire is less sad than this.
I have a pink streak wrasse from high tide. He always hides except for a couple seconds at feeding time. No health issues. Barely see him.

Edit: btw, I didn't mean that to say I somehow have a magical tank, just that it might be bad luck given we had the same source for the first batch.

Fast death is weird.

Last edited:
Sorry you’re having trouble with this fish. My pink streak was not quarantined (like all my fish) from AC. Came home in the baggy, floated for 30 mins, used a turkey baster to squirt tank water into the floating baggie every 5 minutes. Drained the baggie, fish into my 20 gallon tank with the lights out. First few hours he was hiding behind the rock work, spent the night on the sand wedged by a rock.

Next morning was out, eating omega one (garlic infused) pellets (highly recommend). It’s now my most active fish, out all day, hosted by my frogspawn (which also hosts my clowns), it’s a busy area of my tank lol. The fish disappears a couple hours after lights out and comes out a couple hours before lights come on. Covers the tank from sand to surface and one side to the other during the day.

Is there possibly a “bully” in your tank? If not, give your tank a break. Try again a few months down the road. Don’t over think it.

Sorry you're having bad luck with these. Maybe an acclimation box next time for new fish if you have a suspected fish murderer in there. You're not hearing any snapping or clicking sounds right?

Sorry you're having bad luck with these. Maybe an acclimation box next time for new fish if you have a suspected fish murderer in there. You're not hearing any snapping or clicking sounds right?
My geometric perchlet chased him out from under the perchlet’s favorite frag rack and my gramma did take a swipe but the aggression wasn’t continuous or sustained. I didn’t hear any pistol shrimp clicking.

Make sure the box has a PVC tube or two it can hide in. You can go buy one of those critter carriers and use it in-tank. Put a rock on top of it so it doesn't float away.

Back