Jestersix

Coral reefer’s 360 gal system. 225 display and frag tanks

Phos .26
Alk 8.15
Ca 425
Guess I gotta change out the rowaphos again...
Injecting lanthanum into the skimmer like rich was talking about sure does sound appealing right about now...

I've seen a few youtube reefers do the Lanthanum drip into a filter sock (super tight mesh one) seems to be a good and easy method to bring down phosphate.

Wish I was able to watch the event. Did he say if the skimmer has to be adjusted? Like wetter skimming?

I do not remember him saying skimmer needed to be adjusted. It's not an approach I am paying close attention though. There were others who disucssed with him and caught specifics most likely. @JVU

2E2982AB-B688-4E3A-A331-4EDF566E420E.jpeg

I do not remember him saying skimmer needed to be adjusted. It's not an approach I am paying close attention though. There were others who disucssed with him and caught specifics most likely. @JVU
Rich @Thales didn’t mention if he runs his skimmer wetter or drier than usual when using lanthanum in the discussion, would be interesting to learn.

I am confused about adding Lanthanum to skimmer.

You are supposed to do that on a POOL. Because the "skimmer" (leaf trap) leads to the filter.
The precipitate then ends up on your filter media to be cleaned later.

For a reef tank, "skimmer" (foam fractionator) works because DOCs are amphipathic, and get trapped in bubbles.
I don't see how Lanthanum precipitate would do that.
Seems like it would just go right through and end up in your sump.

I am confused about adding Lanthanum to skimmer.

You are supposed to do that on a POOL. Because the "skimmer" (leaf trap) leads to the filter.
The precipitate then ends up on your filter media to be cleaned later.

For a reef tank, "skimmer" (foam fractionator) works because DOCs are amphipathic, and get trapped in bubbles.
I don't see how Lanthanum precipitate would do that.
Seems like it would just go right through and end up in your sump.
I think even though the precipitate isn't forming the membrane of the bubbles(as the DOC's are) it still gets pushed up by the rising foam head. Although I'm sure the amount that ends up in the collection cup is decently less than 100%.

Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to just use a filter sock?
He said he was having to replace filter socks daily.

I think the skimmer being able to filter it out had something to do with the size of the dose? We need him back to talk just on lanthanum dosing :D

So this lanthanum stuff makes the nutrients precipitate and then it gets collected by the skimmer/in the filter socks?

Could you drip it down the air tube for the skimmer so it gets injected like the air does? It sounds like it would be a low enough volume to not impact the air, but then it would inject it at a nice spot to do its work

So this lanthanum stuff makes the nutrients precipitate and then it gets collected by the skimmer/in the filter socks?

Could you drip it down the air tube for the skimmer so it gets injected like the air does? It sounds like it would be a low enough volume to not impact the air, but then it would inject it at a nice spot to do its work
You don’t want it going through the pump

Back