Our mission

3/25/2023 BAR Frag Swap

Will you attend?

• Total voters

Darkxerox

Facilities, Events, LFS Partnership
BOD
Spring 2023 BAR Frag Swap

It's that time of year BAR members! Take those frags of your corals that you sawed up at the fragging workshop, polyps of that monster hammer coral sitting in your tank, or that zoa that just doesn't look the same under your lights to our next swap!

*This event is for supporting members only, however feel free to bring your family and significant others.

Volunteers are needed! Please sign up here.

1570 The Alameda #150
Date: March 25, 2023
Note: There is plenty of parking around the location.

Requirements
1. Bring a minimum of 3 separate coral frags, none from the "banned" list, and properly contained (see below).
2. Check in before 12pm, if you come after we will check you in but may have lost a picking round, and it makes it more hectic for us.

Schedule
10:30am-11:30am Setup
11:00am-12:00pm Registration and running corals to tables
12:00pm-3:00pm Coral swapping!
Cleanup to follow.

How does it work?

For those who have swapped before, it is largely unchanged. Everyone gets a picking letter when they check in, and each picking letter group gets a turn to pick a coral (one group at a time), going back and forth along the alphabet until the corals are gone. Bonus/ultra coral and rounds are fun, but harder to have folks unfamiliar with the process and the short notice of this event, so only regular rounds this time.

This post is older but a good intro to how swaps work for those of you who haven’t been to one yet (some details have changed):

How does a BAR Frag Swap Work? https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/how-does-a-bar-frag-swap-work.17917/

Valid frags
  • 3 frags is the minimum. There is no maximum number so feel free to bring a bunch if you want to.
  • Corals MUST be in clear plastic containers, that includes lids and sides, so no styrofoam or plastic bags.
  • Corals MUST be labeled with at the very least a description (e.g. common name/species and/or color + coral type) and your username. The approximate lighting level they are under can be helpful.

These corals are not eligible for swapping, but can be brought for the freebie table:

ineligible_corals_v3.jpg

Further frag notes:

• Corals should be healthy and pest free. While we should assume everything could have hidden pests, if your frag plug has Aiptasia or signs of pests it will not be accepted.
  • Frag sizes will vary, but give a size of frag that you would be happy to receive.
  • There's always a debate about mounted versus unmounted corals, but there no requirement either way.
  • Things like anemones are ok if they're of a desirable nature i.e. bubble tips, maxi-mini carpets, rock flower, etc.
  • Sponges and macroalgae don’t count as frags, but can be brought for the freebie table.
  • If you don’t have 3 qualifying frags to share, there are members with extra coral to share, or you can purchase frag packs from your LFS, just please arrange who you’ll be getting them from ahead of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a large outdoor atrium area as well that I believe we also have access to if your preference is to be outside more.

It always saddens me that GSP and Xenia are banished from the main frag event. I mean GSP is so awesome, it's colorful and it's really nice looking and it if does go crazy, it peels off easily. Xenia have so many varieties and the pulsing is amazing. HOWEVER, yeah, we don't need mountains of it in the swap area. Just sad that it's been shunned.

As usual, I'll probably bring a GBTA and RBTA just to pass them on and get them out of my tank! LOL, I remember when RBTAs were selling for $300 ...

V

It always saddens me that GSP and Xenia are banished from the main frag event. I mean GSP is so awesome, it's colorful and it's really nice looking and it if does go crazy, it peels off easily. Xenia have so many varieties and the pulsing is amazing. HOWEVER, yeah, we don't need mountains of it in the swap area. Just sad that it's been shunned.

As usual, I'll probably bring a GBTA and RBTA just to pass them on and get them out of my tank! LOL, I remember when RBTAs were selling for $300 ...

V
They aren’t shunned, you can bring as much as you like and put them on the freebie table. Lots of people like GSP and Xenia. In the past people have brought stuff on that list for the freebie table and it all goes to a new home. Just doesn’t count for one of your 3 minimum frags to enter. That rule was way before my time, but my understanding is that it’s to encourage people to bring other more desirable coral in addition to what’s on that list, instead of only bringing those.

My wife and I will be there. Having trouble opening the banned list. If someone has it can they please share. Thanks and looking forward to meeting everyone at the event

My tank is pretty new so no frags to share. Can I attend and just observe and possible pick a couple frags from the freebie table?
I do have a bucket of unused Redsea salt I can bring for anyone that wants it.

My tank is pretty new so no frags to share. Can I attend and just observe and possible pick a couple frags from the freebie table?
I do have a bucket of unused Redsea salt I can bring for anyone that wants it.
I can bring some frags for you.
Just send me a PM to remind me

Pocillapora
German Blue digi
Hammer

I have a bunch I plan on bringing anyhow, might as well share the love.

Last edited:
Back