Kessil

Anna & Pablo’s RSR P650

Garf

d0637c3d6d4e620e63a8f87e0bd2b29f.jpg

Pulled everything out of the frag tank and cleaned up all the frags today. Put in a tall rack from Building an Obsession.

I cut 7 frags of blue-tipped green slimer I got from Neptune’s Terrence. They’ll be on DBTC soon.

Everything in that tank is doing really well.

Are they supposed to be “bad” and have downsides or just vermetid eating machines?
They are predatory to other snails, but read that they prefer to be among the rocks, so the downside risk to other snails in the system is pretty limited. I had 20 in my last tank due to importing vermetids from somewhere. I hardly saw them, but they mow down the population

Found a few very large aptaisa in my sump...so far I have not seen any in the DT. Would some peppermint shrimp survive down there?

Want a couple and find out? Mine won't touch my aptasia.

Lysmata boggessi is the correct species you want that are known to have an appetite for aiptasia. There are a number of other shrimps in the Lysmata family that look like the L. boggessi, but those may or may not eat aiptasia.

If you do have Lysmata boggessi and you’re overfeeding the tank they may not eat your aiptasia. You could try stick the shrimps in a fish trap with a rock of aiptasia and make sure they don’t get any fish food and force the issue of eating aiptasia. If they eat it, maybe after a tasty nibble of aiptasia, it’ll hook them on it.

Lysmata wurdemanni are the species you need

The species L. wurdemanni has undergone reclassification and has been divided into four distinct species – L. wurdemanni, L. ankeri, L. bahia and L. boggessii.[3] More recent molecular phylogenetic work found that L. wurdemanni is a cryptic species with at least 5 (and potentially 9) morphologically identical species being present across its range. (From Wikipedia)

We may be both correct, but it appears that a number of vendors are selling specifically boggessi now (e.g., live aquaria, algae barn).

Last edited:
Back