got ethical husbandry?

Apex Trident Pros and Cons

"You risk failing accuracy and precision if you use the trident manually without doing the minimum tests - the minimum is 2 alk and 2 combined tests daily. The maintenance on the trident is recommended, and while it is not nailed down yet, somewhere between 18 months and 2 years. The plan is you can do it yourself or send it in, with various options that are not yet nailed down either. I don't find any of this problematic. YMMV."
I believe the minimum Alk testing is 4/day

Looks like Murphy's gotten a hand into my first run with the Trident .

Opened the drawer earlier and found a pool of liquid... and saw drips coming down when I was performing a prime.. not to mention Test A failure alerts.

Hmm...

Anyone else experienced similar?

Followed steps on website to no avail...

I believe that is what @Thales said, 2 Alk + 2 combined (Alk, Ca, Mg) = 4 Alk, 2 Ca, 2 Mg. :cool:
Hmm, since Ca and Mg are the requisite combined tests I read it as 2 Alk + 2 combined Ca/Mg. I still don’t think it is a clear way to say 4 Alk tests, but I get what was meant now.

Last edited:
If you rely on probes...
They must be calibrated...regularly and properly
Otherwise disaster may result

For this reason I use NO probes

No probes in the Trident. But yes, calibration is important, as is testing your titration kits to make sure they aren't wacky - but no one really does that. The trident calibration is super easy. Really though, it is all just a shuffling of responsibilities.

Opened the drawer earlier and found a pool of liquid... and saw drips coming down when I was performing a prime.. not to mention Test A failure alerts.

Hmm...

Sound like one of the lines may be pinched. Have you started a ticket with support?

Hmm, since Ca and Mg are the requisite combined tests I read it as 2 Alk + 2 combined Ca/Mg. I still don’t think it is a clear way to say 4 Alk tests, but I get hat was meant now.
In the Apex world, combined Trident test is all three, sorry that wasn't clear.

Still don't get the verbage... I understand what he's saying mind you, I just don't get how 2 Alk + 2 combined = 4 + 2 + 2... but I never took that math class :D

edit: ok, n/m 1 combined = 1+1+1 so 2+ 2c = 2+ 2x (1+1+1)... yeah that's some definite Neptunian verbage alright :D

Sound like one of the lines may be pinched. Have you started a ticket with support?
Not yet, but will be opening a ticket.

The drip was coming from the vial area, so would be surprised if it were. But, as i run it with tray open, i didn't see any further drips.
When i prime and run an alk test, the vial fills as expected. But after awhile returns a fail. :/

Hmm...

I had similar problems.

first trident: I believe it was a clogged sample line. I never saw the drip, but I always saw salt creep on my reagent A lid. My solution: filed a support ticket with Neptune, got a replacement.

second trident: line on solenoid 4 came detached from moving the unit around to dump waste and change reagents. Can happen if you pull on the external waste or sample lines too hard. Just used a pair of tweezers to put it back in without having to loosen the solenoid up at all.

I had similar problems.

first trident: I believe it was a clogged sample line. I never saw the drip, but I always saw salt creep on my reagent A lid. My solution: filed a support ticket with Neptune, got a replacement.

second trident: line on solenoid 4 came detached from moving the unit around to dump waste and change reagents. Can happen if you pull on the external waste or sample lines too hard. Just used a pair of tweezers to put it back in without having to loosen the solenoid up at all.
Will take a looks at the lines again.. when priming, it fills up the vial just fine... but i did notice blue colored reagent so maybe it's from the other lines... :/

Nope, but didn’t buy mine second-hand either.
The unit is less than 1 month old so surprised that it would have issues but looks like from Randy's comments, funny things can happen

I wonder if for alk, it uses multiple reagents or just reagent A. Since the drips initially were blue colored rather than yellow.

It seems to be a pretty simple machine really. So might be a simple fix, unless the the optical sensor is malfunctioning

The unit is less than 1 month old so surprised that it would have issues but looks like from Randy's comments, funny things can happen

I wonder if for alk, it uses multiple reagents or just reagent A. Since the drips initially were blue colored rather than yellow.

It seems to be a pretty simple machine really. So might be a simple fix, unless the the optical sensor is malfunctioning
If it’s leaking and there isn’t anything obviously unplugged or not screwed on, it’s pretty clearly a physical issue for Neptune Support to help you with.

If it’s leaking and there isn’t anything obviously unplugged or not screwed on, it’s pretty clearly a physical issue for Neptune Support to help you with.
The leak is magically gone now... not sure why. My guess might be that the line was clogged during when it was between setups.

Still need to open a support ticket though. The sampling seems to work as intended but no readings are performed. Just an error.

Update: Neptune sent a replacement unit. After replacing and some initial trouble shooting, I got it running... happy again. :)

For those who might have test failures, readings out of test range is also flagged as a "test failure" but without details to help troubleshoot

My original unit had the magnet stir bar not working on top of samples remaining stock inside the sample vial...so samples were entering and stayed separated. Looked like a pretty cocktail though...

Back